Sample rate 44100, 48000 or 96000 when using 320kbps? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Before slating, it would be pretty standard to lower it and find your optimum point. I've a feeling you'd probably get quite close to the other readout. Just lower it to 4.2, see what it's like. If it is dropping out, increase notch by notch until you get clear audio coming through.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Shifty Sheep View Post
    I could go lower at the risk of audio drop outs!

My main point is that my S4 sound card is 4.2ms SLOWER than running a external one on exactly the same settings!
    Erm, don't you tell the soundcard what latency to run? I think those are just the defaults arenm't they (he says having never had an S4, and going off a dim and distant memory of how he set up his A8)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Mp3 have a sample rate of 44100. The only thing you earn with increasing it in Traktor is CPU usage.
    This is true assuming that you don't affect the pitch, effects or internal eq.

I tend to at least affect the pitch when I mix so I find a real advantage in a higher sample rate. I have good monitors and I can hear the difference between 44.1k and 96k, but the sound will only be as good as the weakest link in the chain eg audio interface - amp - speakers -ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    Erm, don't you tell the soundcard what latency to run? I think those are just the defaults arenm't they (he says having never had an S4, and going off a dim and distant memory of how he set up his A8)
    Yeh, I'm not entirely sure how the S4 latency works cos I know it's updated from Pro, but can't you just lower the latency manually to find where it actually starts dropping out?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

The latency is worked out via setting a buffer size in MB the lowest being 64mb and I have mine on 128 the second lowest setting! The processing time stays the say but its the output time that takes longer on the S4 why?

I have already test to see if it stable! The point most people are missing is that fact the none NI soundcard do's the same job a lot faster in fact 2x's faster 8.4ms was the S4 card and 4.2ms for the usb soundcard.

Do's anyone else think the latency issue is due to a bottle neck in the USB? (I already have a good USB cable I got the one DJ Techtools are selling) I.E. Running NHL & the sound over one usb. Because when I use a external sound card only the NHL is sent via the S4 USB and audio handled by a 2nd USB to the soundcard splitting the load?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

The latency is worked out via setting a buffer size in MB the lowest being 64mb and I have mine on 128 the second lowest setting! The processing time stays the say but its the output time that takes longer on the S4 why?

I have already test to see if it stable! The point most people are missing is that fact the none NI soundcard do's the same job a lot faster in fact 2x's faster 8.4ms was the S4 card and 4.2ms for the usb soundcard.

Do's anyone else think the latency issue is due to a bottle neck in the USB? (I already have a good USB cable I got the one DJ Techtools are selling) I.E. Running NHL & the sound over one usb. Because when I use a external sound card only the NHL is sent via the S4 USB and audio handled by a 2nd USB to the soundcard splitting the load?
    I'm using mine at the same latency achieved with an audio 8dj. are you on a mac or pc?

Tech Wizard

I'm on a mac book,

2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo
    4GB DDR3

Man, you surely can decrease latency. I have pretty much the same machine but with 2g of ram and I'm getting better latency. 5,2ms leaves me a little extra headroom actually.

Tech Wizard

But its not the processing time thats slower its only the output timing that changes!

If I put it on 96000 and turn the buffer up to 320-512 I can get higher processing time but a lot lower output time, I.e. I can get the overall down to between 5.1ms (with pops and clicks) but more towards 512 it handles it with a lower overall time than if using 44100 or 48000?

What made me think was seeing how low yours was using 44100!

Whats slowing mine down as I said I'm using a good cable?

But its not the processing time thats slower its only the output timing that changes!

If I put it on 96000 and turn the buffer up to 320-512 I can get higher processing time but a lot lower output time, I.e. I can get the overall down to between 5.1ms (with pops and clicks) but more towards 512 it handles it with a lower overall time than if using 44100 or 48000?

What made me think was seeing how low yours was using 44100!

Whats slowing mine down as I said I'm using a good cable?
    Are you turning off wifi and bluetooth before a gig? I'ts the only tinkering I do before each gig. Btw, I'm using the bundled S4 USB cable.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast