numark ns6 vs Kontrol S4? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    This may just be because I've never used anything like an S4 but I still find those jog wheels totally boggling. They are teeny!
    teeny tiny

I started off messing around with the stanton 3d for a jog. I also have never touched a vinyl before so. Comming from very different directions.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Tech Guru

I have an S4 and also an NS7. I went to see the NS6 hoping I could use it instead of two different controllers and didn't get it. For Traktor and EDM/House music the S4 is king. For Itch, turntable feel and playing hip hop - the NS7 is king.

The value in the NS6 is that it's more portable than the heavy ass NS7. What I didn't like - the S4 knobs, faders, feel much better and TP2 is more feature packed for playing EDM type music. Has a dedicated filter knob and the knobs are a little more spaced out. The NS6 has all back lit buttons and the lights on the jogs were pretty sweet.

The NS7 feels more like "real gear" than the NS6. The "build" quality is the same as in, it's metal and sturdy, but the faders, crossfader, knobs, etc. don't feel the same. The buttons do feel better. Much sturdier.

For me, playing hip hop or open format is much more intuitive on an NS7. Two decks, two channel battle mixer and some nice stacked waveforms make it a very streamlined and to the point user experience. With the S4 I get the "im just pushing buttons" feeling and that's not too enjoyable when playing hip hop, reggae, etc.

So my pics of controllers at the moment are NS7 #1 (its just fun), S4 # 2, and I would put the NS6 and the DDJ-S1 tied for 3. I would get the NS6 if I was really into Itch and needed a more portable solution. I hate carrying the NS7.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Guru
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    Uh...you do know that you get a free upgrade to tpro2 right?

I get the feeling you don't really know how to use the controller or software properly either. Not to offend, but some of the problems you are having are very, very, very basic.

a) There is no cue point lag, you probably have Quantize on which will delay a cuepoint press to make sure it hits on the downbeat, which can be turned off with the press of a button on the S4... I've never had a problem with pushing cue point buttons in rapid succession if I need to. I also advise turning SYNC off if you want to do crazy cue point jumps.

b) You have snap turned on, which can be turned off with a press of a button on the S4 (this is also what led me to believe you have quantize on)...In fact the snap and quantize buttons are essentially right next to each other.

c) The feel, sure, I'll give you that one, but I'm not one to lug around 20+lbs of gear on top of my laptop, stand, and other gear, but to each his own. If you hate the platters, buy some CDJ's and get the upgrade to traktor scratch pro 2 for 140 USD. I'm about to purchase turntables and get TSP2.

d) For the filter situation, get an LPD8 for like...40 bucks shipped... and map it to your liking. I'm not sure where you would even find a controller with a dedicated filter on/off button unless you purchased a real mixer which is at least just as much as the S4 by itself and doesn't come with software.

I agree with this. After spending more time on Traktor (and using controllers in general), I've found many simple fixes to those original problems I was having. Even with those fixes, though, I still can't stand the size of the platters and the fact that they're push-button style, or the overall build quality of the controller. I am in no way bashing anyone else for using/liking this controller, but it's just not for me I guess. Since my original post I've used quite a few others and really, really like the Denon MC6000. Great build quality, many features and functions, good action on the buttons, and plenty of control for filters/fx.

One more thing: thanks to the quoted poster for calmly and respectfully pointing out my inexperience with the S4 instead of blindly bashing my n00bness. Instead of just pissing someone off, you actually helped them understand the issues they were having.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by allenpa5 View Post
    Check out the NS6 asap. I just bought the S4 and am super disappointed with it. The construction and functionality are NOT what I was expecting... Overall, I'm sure it's a decent controller, but there are so many little things I dislike about it that add up realllllllly quickly. Definitely ditching it as soon as I can for something better.
    If you don't like the s4 it is because you havn't done your own mapping. Start with the base user mapping, then add and delete functions as you see fit. My s4 is nothing like the original now, and is much much more useful. Give it a try, the layout is good physically, but there default mapping blows.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxable fern View Post
    If you don't like the s4 it is because you havn't done your own mapping. Start with the base user mapping, then add and delete functions as you see fit. My s4 is nothing like the original now, and is much much more useful. Give it a try, the layout is good physically, but there default mapping blows.
    This is not true. The jog wheels on the S4 are really poor in comparison to the jogs on the NS6. Honestly the NS6 wheels felt more responsive in itch and were much more "weighty." Plus they has real touch sensitivity, which the S4 lacks.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    This is not true. The jog wheels on the S4 are really poor in comparison to the jogs on the NS6. Honestly the NS6 wheels felt more responsive in itch and were much more "weighty." Plus they has real touch sensitivity, which the S4 lacks.
    Well, you can change the sensitivity on the assignment as well as add different assignments for clicking the top of the wheel. It is not high on my list to have the greatest jog wheels though, these ones are plenty accurate to me (I did not buy this for jog wheels).

I just don't like the top section of the ns6 as much ad the s4. I did steal the idea of a dry when fader though (on my s4 tempo faders with tempo being shift and tempo)

Tech Wizard

old thread but I'm currently looking at both of these. It's going to be my first real foray into DJing so I don't have a preference for either software yet, though I'll only be playing EDM and have heard Traktor can be better for this. I definitely like the build quality on the NS6, its capabilities as a standalone mixer and XLR and booth outs but the S4 definitely seems to be able to do a lot more with effects though the jog wheels do look a little high up. Price also comes into it, here in Australia the S4 goes for about a grand but for some reason the NS6 is about $1400, can get on amazon delivered for 900 from the US but unless Numark does global warranties the warranty situation would be fucked. I'm going to go in store to get a feel for both ASAP. The other thing in the back of my mind is NI bringing out an updated model in the near future, any rumors out there?..any advice and info on the experiences with the S4 and the NS6 in the months since this thread was last really active would be appreciated..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345