Backup

Thread: Backup

Tech Wizard

Default Backup

Hi,

I was wondering how you guys make sure you have a good working computer at a gig, do you always have a backup harddisk or a full mirror of your system with you?

Sorry for my english
    grz
    SoundCloud || Traktor 2.0.1 | NI Kontrol S4 | Maschine 1.6.2 | Macbook Pro 15'' |

popatheart

I've been doing this to keep my work computer and home computer's libraries synced.

http://lifehacker.com/#!5715126/how-...s-with-dropbox

What I do is two things. I have a copy of my setlist (always) backed up online (via my server), on my USB drive, and on two seperate ipods. I also always practice before and record my sessions and have a session (which ever I feel like was the best run) saved hidden on Sound Cloud. So incase of the worst case scenario, I can still just log onto Sound Cloud and hit play.

As a complete last resort I always have a recording of a previous set saved on my iPhone just in case.

But most times we have some audio CD's on with us so we are ready to move onto CD-DJ's just in case. Hopefully giving us enough time to sort out any issues, or if not we can still rock out a set
    | TSP2 | Behringer DJX 750 | NI Audio 8 | Asus Eee PC | Novation Launchpad | Kontrol X1 | 2x Technics 1210 MK II's

There's no reason to keep an image of your hard drive with you at a gig. It takes the length of a normal set to restore a normal-sized drive image…especially if you use USB2 like most people.

Mix on the iPhone…don't suck at computers. Oh…and buy a Mac.

Create a dual boot system and switch boots on fail. I haven't tried it myself but I am pretty sure you could build out a second boot to an eSATA external disk. That should get you up and running in less than 120 seconds.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

If you use a mac and put an SSD in a Firwire chassis, you could boot from your backup inside 20 seconds without a problem.

It's also overkill. If you're not dumb, it's not hard to make a computer stable nowadays…biggest issue is running windows without a virus scanner, a server without a good firewall and secure authentication, and realistically…overheating.

In years of DJing with a laptop off and on, I've had 2 "crashes." One was caused by a faulty turntable not sending proper time code to SSL…the other was my Macbook overheating because I was dumb enough to sit it next to the exhaust fan of an amplifier.