Newbie ?: Traktor Scratch Pro w/ VCI 100

Default Newbie ?: Traktor Scratch Pro w/ VCI 100

I am currently running Traktor Scratch Pro w/ 2 Technics 1200s with timecoded vinyl and a DJM3000 mixer. I like the feel of vinyl (I guess old habits die hard) so I don't want to give up that up. I am amazed at Ean's video and the control he has using the VCI-100. I've never used MIDI before but I'm thinking about purchasing a controller. I like the VCI-100 because I can download Ean's mappings for it.

Is the VCI-100 the best option for me if I'm going to be using Traktor Scratch? Instead of using the job wheels as turntables, I can use them for effects or something else, right?

You all seem to have a lot of knowledge with MIDI, VCI 100, and other controllers so I'm hoping you can help me make the right decision. Thanks!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, you can use the Vci-100 to do anything you want, really. There are lots of options. If you want it to control effects then yes, I think the VCI-100 can come in handy. Before you make any decisions, though, I'd recommend doing some research on MIDI and how it works. You are going to be using turntables to control your decks, so you'll have a whole lotta options for what you can do for just side controllers for effects, a lot of which are cheaper than the VCI-100.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

If you are using 1200's DVS setup I would go for a trigger finger or something similar to that, all you really need it for is hotcue & fx. There is really no need to dumb 400 bux on vci-100
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Thanks for your reply! Can you recommend any MIDI controllers that would fit my needs? I'm thinking about the VCI 100 only because of Ean's mappings. I don't really know anything about MIDI so I'm trying to find the easiest way to get up and running so I can start learning while using it. I learn better "hands on". I've been reading up a lot on this stuff but, since I don't have anything to test it out on, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, look at the Akai MPD32, for starters. You really don't need something as big as the VCI-100. Here's an article DJTT put up a few months ago about the main competition of pad controllers. Pretty much I think you need to decide what you want to use the MIDI controller for first. Just for effects? Do you want to use hotcues, loops, effects, deck duplication, etc.? Once you figure that out you need to decide what kind of footprint you want, what sort of expandability you want and your budget. Most MIDI controllers all do the same thing, it's just the design and slight differences in the firmware.

You can also just spend $40 on the nanopad or whatever and try things out with the to see if it's the direction you want, and THEN blow the $200 to $320 on a bigger pad controller.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall