CDJs to go along with my s4?
    Tech Guru

Default CDJs to go along with my s4?

Im guessing most ppl haven't thought of adding 2 cdjs to go along with their s4 and Im pondering the idea when I make a little more money this summer.

My thought:

Have main decks A and B play off of CDJs and then use the current setup of the s4 for effects and the sample decks. The jogs already on the s4 could be strictly for effects, all buttons would be midi mapped to assignments not currently on the cdjs.

I could also just bring out the s4 for smaller gigs etc...

Learning the cdjs in and out could be helpful for playing in clubs this summer since I am moving to a bigger city and hoping to get into that.

I realize that they are overpriced and I would try to pick up a pair of used cdj 900s for around $1500.

I would also like to use these with a cheaper mixer down the road if I don't want to use a computer because I really don't need a comp when I have a set playlist.

I want your thoughts...but please just don't tell me to use an x1 or midifighter (or atleast give me some creative ideas with them), the idea is to have jogs that are scratchable but also translate easily to traktor. I have stated the benefits...what else could I do with that money instead of cdjs/do you think this would be a good idea.

Finally should I just get a maschine and see what I need from there since I am starting to touch on the production side of things.

Thanks,
    Rukks

Tech Mentor

You know what'd be an AMAZING setup is a S4 and a 2 Denon DN-S3700 CD players/vinyl emulators. If I was buying a new setup, that would be my first choice.

Tech Wizard

I was planning on doing something similar, except using my bro's old 1200's instead of CDJs.

Tech Guru

Jesus guys. All of this is mad overkill IMHO. Esp. on the wallet. You can do so much with an S4 and a tiny secondary controller already...

Production of course is a whole different beast.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Go with the S4 & Maschine for sampling purposes. I don't see the point of using cdj's with the S4.

Buy the cdj's to practice on for the gigs you want to travel light to. Bringing only a set of headphones and 2 thumb drives to a gig is sweet and super convenient. If you’re booked a lot and have to carry, setup, watch & breakdown all that gear for every gig will get old fast.

Tech Guru

Thanks for the input guys, I guess I'll see what type of cash I have to spend on it...I like the HID that has been developed for the 900s especially. I don't think its overkill when you think of all the options and experience you can gain from owning CDJs.

Its not always about necessity. This is a hobby for me, and just like every other hobby I like to spend money on nice things. Depends what I see myself spending more time doing in the next few months, either DJing or production...With all the software available for production I definately see DJing being the more expensive side of this scenario.

Also by buying CDJs over turntables I will not need to spend money on TSP...as I understand it the hid works just as well or better than timecode for CDJs.