It's been a long time...
    Tech Mentor

Default It's been a long time...

I used to be a DJ, my name back then was DJ T-Love, and I had made my way from school dances, to the college radio station, and to clubs, and finally a couple brief stints on radio. But my life has always taken some interesting turns.

In 1991 I owned a ton of equipment. SB12's, a pair of Roland mixers, and crates and crates of vinyl. Unfortunately I made the tragic error when I was in college to allow other DJ's to have access to my stuff, and one day, another college radio DJ named Mailman jacked virtually all my equipment/vinyl (and a bunch of others) and never saw it again.

In 1995 I had started collecting music again, this time in CD form. Had a Denon CD duo-deck, mixer board, and a healthy CD collection. And yet someone jacked my equipment and a few of my CDs from my house.

From there I stopped investing in equipment, and I had gotten some short time radio gigs, and hit clubs up like The Ritz and DC Live in Washington DC. But 1999 I did my last bit as a DJ, and at the end of the year after I would meet my future wife.

I've occasionally tried some software over the past few years, MixMeister back in 2003/4, Traktor a year or two ago, and in the past couple weeks VDJ. In the desire to make a continuous workout tape I have VDJ a whirl and I am re-warming up to the idea of at least mixing a bit on my free time.

Still not sure if/when I will be able to invest in hardware. If I do I may go over to Traktor, but at least VDJ let's me map to the keyboard for now and get some control. Not sure of what Traktor can do for keyboard control.

So should I start to toy with the idea again? Heh and it's not like I can go back to my old name of DJ T-Love since there seems to be a couple of them, so I guess it's T-Love is dead, long live ParisCreative!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Welcome back. It sounds like you've already started toying with the idea. You can do some great things with Traktor and just a keyboard. You can also do some great things with a simple controller like the Traktor X1 or Midi Fighter.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

"Graduated" from VDJ about a year ago - there's NO comparison. Take Traktor for a REAL drive (with an X1 for example - I don't know the MidiFighter) it's in a different league all together.

vneondreamsv

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    "Graduated" from VDJ about a year ago - there's NO comparison. Take Traktor for a REAL drive (with an X1 for example - I don't know the MidiFighter) it's in a different league all together.
    *Loves hearing about people ditching VDJ

go all out and have some fun and get the S4
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Tech Mentor

I wish I could afford the S4 right now, but I am going to keep this on a budget for a while to make sure I can dedicate enough time to re-refine my craft.

Quote Originally Posted by vneondreamsv View Post
    *Loves hearing about people ditching VDJ
    Bad experiences with it?

(Have actually seen some impressive stuff by DJs using VDJ)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --