Some speaker advice, Please :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Some speaker advice, Please :)

Hey guys!
    Haven't been on DJTT for a while due to extensive school work so my input on threads etc. has been pretty desolate, for that i am sorry my community however, i have found myself in a bit of a pickle :/

Situation:
    Was going to buy a Mackie Thump TH-15A as a 2 in 1 performance and practice speaker however, i think that at the moment, that kind of power is somewhat unneccesary because i'm only 14 and probably would not use such volume for venues etc.
    Looked at some cool studio monitors but they can be on the pricey side and don't really know where to start

Any advice is welcome, thanks all!
    'Then if you get no joy. Put Dog Shit through their letter-box'

vneondreamsv

Personally, especially if your just starting out, you can really get away with some decent self powered speakers.
    Like Peavey PVi 10 PA Speakers - There only 100 watts and there acceptable for small house parties.

My first setup was only with a crowd of about 25-30 people and I believe we used VocoPro PV 802 poweredvocal speakers. It was definitely satisfactory.
    Yet again I'm only listing some basic equipment to start out with.
    :] Hope it helps a bit.
    Probably not. lol

are you going to be using these for gigs?

or are you looking to add to your bedroom set up?

budget?
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

vneondreamsv

(( I suppose I should clarify that the speakers I suggested were for more of a home setup ))

Honestly? If you're not an audiophile, and want something decent? Get an expensive computer speaker setup.

I've had mine now for about 8 years now I guess. Logitech 5.1 surround w/ sub. It's outlived a lot of my friends "more expensive" speaker systems, and I still think it sounds pretty damned good for what it is.

For a smallish house party, you'd be fine (aka can push sound in a couple rooms). For most of the time though, it's got a great spectrum and I can't listen at max volume anyhow.

Probably one of your least expensive bets. I don't really care for monitors because it's not how I experience music in any other place.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    Honestly? If you're not an audiophile, and want something decent? Get an expensive computer speaker setup.

I've had mine now for about 8 years now I guess. Logitech 5.1 surround w/ sub. It's outlived a lot of my friends "more expensive" speaker systems, and I still think it sounds pretty damned good for what it is.
    +1. i've had my PC connected to a logitech x-530 5.1 setup for over five years,

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-X-530-5-1-Speaker-System/dp/B0002WPSCG/ref=lh_ni_t_"]Amazon.com: Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker System: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TKYK95W9L.@@AMEPARAM@@41TKYK95W9L[/ame]

and honestly, the system BUMPS. good sound all-around with surprisingly fulfilling lows. for playing music, these actually sound better than my 600-watt home theater system--and they're 80 bucks.

KRK G2's for home speakers. Look at anyone's setup, unless they have made it big, they are mixing on KRK's. Great bang for the buck, and pound if you need them to.

+1 for KRK G2's

Love mine to bits...

About to drop for the KRK sub so I can stop running my 15" PA setup sub in my studio
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    KRK G2's for home speakers. Look at anyone's setup, unless they have made it big, they are mixing on KRK's. Great bang for the buck, and pound if you need them to.
    this!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

there are also a few companies that make 10" powered PA's with a sub. i know pioneer used to make one of these setups called the 'troublemaker' that was about $1000 more than adequate for a small house party and banging out at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast