Did I get the beatmatching right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did I get the beatmatching right?

Until now I was using traktor with controllers so beatmatching was no problem with visual and sync assist. I'm about to buy players so I started to practice beatmatching.
    The tempo issue is just not an issue, cuz I'm not ashamed to write down on cd label bpm next to song name.
    Now, as I get it, the point is you get to hear two songs.
    Can you determinate that the song you are bringing in is going forward or backward from the song that is playing, or you do it by trying to speed it up and down randomly till you get it right?

It is a matter of training. Obviously trying to speed up and slow down makes you "hear" if its too fast or too slow - after a few weeks you are not trying anymore, you are doing it

At first it will be pretty random.As you get used to it and practise it will get easier and quicker,eventually it will be second nature and you want even have to think about it.

Thanks guys for quick replays!!!
    One more thing, what do you focus on to listen exactly? Basses, mids, highs or just all together?

Quote Originally Posted by steffanko View Post
    Thanks guys for quick replays!!!
    One more thing, what do you focus on to listen exactly? Basses, mids, highs or just all together?
    I think it depends on the genre you are playing. A straight four on the four beat, I will listen to the low end kicks. For breaks and jungle I tend to listen first to the hi hats and then make sure the low end isn't to muddled.
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

Tech Mentor

I'm no beat matching pro but I tend to try the track at original speed, if that doesn't work then I'll speed it up a bit and see if it gets better or worse. If it gets better then I repeat the process, if it gets worse then I know I have to slow it down a bit.
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

it just kinda of comes naturally, like second nature a feeling if you will. I know that I usually bring in the next track being playing track, so I usually adjust to suit. Saying that, I sometimes still correct in the wrong direction but you will quickly hear it and put it back. Using cdjs I usually use the key lock, this means that if you make any drastic adjustments then you cant hear the warping sound, it sounds less evident. After Ive brang the track in ill turn of the key lock.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

If you can keep dancing, its beat matched. haha

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rhombus_77 View Post
    I think it depends on the genre you are playing. A straight four on the four beat, I will listen to the low end kicks. For breaks and jungle I tend to listen first to the hi hats and then make sure the low end isn't to muddled.
    breaks and jungle is a 4/4/ beat as well.

when first started out i was mixing vinyl, and i'd always bring my new track in slow then speed it up till i had a match in tempo...

do what you feel comfortable with and what works for you till you 'get it'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast