YAY!!! First Gig. Help Needed!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default YAY!!! First Gig. Help Needed!

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know that I have my first gig Feb 21. I'm so excited and can't wait to share with you the details of the night. 2 hours background music on the piano 2 hours on the vci-100 and traktor. I have so much to do still.

It's at a business function. I'll be playing for 35+. I've been working with breaks up until now. Any chance you guys can lead me in the right direction in terms of song selection? There's a sound system at the hall. That's all I know for now. I'll be speaking with the organizer tomorrow for the rest of the details.

I still have over a month to prep. I'm not worried with the piano part but the djing side...well that's another story. I haven't been doing it for long at all but I thought that I just had to jump at this opportunity. What should I look out for in the sound system? Should I expect to come with just the VCI-100 laptop and audio interface? 35+ was what the organizer told me that's it so what songs should I choose? Do you guys have any samples of contracts you can offer me? In other tips and tricks would greatly be appreciated!

Andrew

p.s. I've also been following the guides written on djforum.com in the mobile dj section
    Last edited by Andrew Loay; 01-13-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: forgot some details

Dont forget to take a power strip and spare audio cables.

As for song selection you will probably be safest playing pop music - try to get a top 40 list or something from a popular radio station in town.

Tech Mentor

It might not be a club enviroment but this is a great article to help you setup to a mixer if they have one.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/03/0...-up-in-a-club/
    Thank Ya!!!

Tech Mentor

if i in 10years start to listen to strictly top 40 ill have myself permanently sedated

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I think that's how we all feel.

Keep in mind that if they are 35 now they were born in 1974, meaning they were teenagers in the 80's. Cheesy 80's tunes might work, as well as some of the lighter stuff from the 90's, mixed with stuff from today.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

yea... not so sure about the top40 thing... 80s all the way. if you could get enough breaks remixes of 80's tunes you'd be set.
    oh and
    Funk always works
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

there are lots of covers and remixes of 80's tracks floating around you can dig up.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

The more I'm paid for gigs like this the more I dumb it down . Unless I get a really good feeling from the client .

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I think that's how we all feel.

Keep in mind that if they are 35 now they were born in 1974, meaning they were teenagers in the 80's. Cheesy 80's tunes might work, as well as some of the lighter stuff from the 90's, mixed with stuff from today.
    THE HUMANITY!

Tech Mentor

DJ Swindle - 80 Cent (50 Cent Meets the 80's)

http://www.last.fm/music/80+Cent+-+Dj+Swindle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast