Super Knob TSI using Loop Recorder - Page 11
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    Smitten great idea. Really alot of the questions are answered in ArmyofMe's superknob Youtube Vid. It's where this really spun off from since we had a vid that it worked. Beatzz had been talking about doing this for a while, even when we both had VCI-300's -- but we always came back to AofM'e's vid.

I'd be happy to do some writing and a step by step, it'll take me a few days this weekend to put somethings together. My thoughts:

1. What is a superknob
    2. How to do a simple map of one knob controlling multiple parameters and 2 Dry/wets
    3. How to map a button "preset" - load effects, load set parameter, turn on effect
    4. Possible ways to assign FX decks
    5. A few work arounds we had to do with LED feedback.

That's superknobs in general. For the S4 perhaps also a section on "canceling out" the native map with opposite user commands mapped.

Ok...it's a bit of writing.
    that would be very nice

Tech Guru

Thumbs up New TSI's - Bigbeatzz

OK.

Two new files hot off the presses:

Size (Hold Down) + Turn the Dry/Wet Knob = Army Of Me Whoosh
    Rec (Hold Down) = Echo -- You can also turn the knob while pressing
    Play (Hold Down) = Reverb -- You can also turn the knob while pressing
    Undo (Toggles) = Echo Freeze

Whats new?

You can know choose to assign all of the effects to each channel by using the 1 & 2 buttons next to the gain knob.

Channels C & A:
    Button 1 = All Units Assigned to Deck
    Button 2 = All Units Off (Blinking Button)

Channels B & D:
    Button 1 = All Units Off (Blinking Button)
    Button 2 = All Units Assigned to Deck

I tested this and it seemed to work well. It's best to train yourself that the blinking button will turn off the effect. Hitting the regular button will also work but the opposite button will continue blinking. I can also turn off the blinking but I figures it would be a good reference in a dark booth. If it's too busy I will create a non blink version.

To Install:

Click import in the bottom of your preferences, find the file and enjoy the goodness. Install appropriate version to your copy of traktor. The only difference is the T2 has the new effects in the list and will load properly.

Issues:

Sometimes when importing to T2 effect assignments in the S4 firmware goes wacky. It will act like there are only 2 units assigned to work. What I found is you can go into your preferences, switch back to 2 effect units and then switch back again to 4 effect units. This solved my issue in seconds. It's a super easy way to fix the problem; otherwise a reboot of your system should solve the issue. This will only happen the first time so first timers fear not!

Also I'm up for ideas, it was tricky to get this to work. Most of the upper part of the S4 is very restricted in the way it works.
    Last edited by bigbeatzz; 04-23-2011 at 08:24 AM.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Tech Guru

Damn homeboy....you went to work today. I'll check it out in the morning fo'sho!
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Default More Ideas

Bigbeatzz, Haze, Army of Me,

I don't know if you guys (and ladies) have seen, but there was another thread that explored all the Super Combos out there. They seemed to unlock all of them, even going as far as making a spoiler video to show them off. Anyways, I thought you guys might want to see it if you haven't so that way we could explore more options for the Super Knob.

Here's the link:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...+combos&page=2

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by victoryrisen View Post
    Bigbeatzz, Haze, Army of Me,

I don't know if you guys (and ladies) have seen, but there was another thread that explored all the Super Combos out there. They seemed to unlock all of them, even going as far as making a spoiler video to show them off. Anyways, I thought you guys might want to see it if you haven't so that way we could explore more options for the Super Knob.

Here's the link:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...+combos&page=2

Thanks, I actually ran into that a while ago and it sparked my interest in the midifighter combos. Thats why I used 3 of what I thought to be the most usefull in the "superarea" LOL I guess we can name it the SUPER CENTER...makes sense right!?!

Anyway, what effects do you like from those? The issue is we only have 4 buttons. Right now I think the Army of me, the delay and the freeze are very useful. The reverb I think can go if needed because the armyofme whoosh can be used in the same capacity.

I'm up for ideas, I really want to make this something awesome but mostly useful.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Quote Originally Posted by bigbeatzz View Post
    Thanks, I actually ran into that a while ago and it sparked my interest in the midifighter combos. Thats why I used 3 of what I thought to be the most usefull in the "superarea" LOL I guess we can name it the SUPER CENTER...makes sense right!?!

Anyway, what effects do you like from those? The issue is we only have 4 buttons. Right now I think the Army of me, the delay and the freeze are very useful. The reverb I think can go if needed because the armyofme whoosh can be used in the same capacity.

I'm up for ideas, I really want to make this something awesome but mostly useful.
    Bigbeatzz,

Haha, the supercenter.

Anyways, one of the things I enjoy most about this mapping is how I can use them as transitions in between songs (or mostly in between parts of the song). And for that, I really enjoy the AoM Whoosh and Echo Freeze. I haven't really found any great uses for Echo or Reverb, just because I can press those on my own (where as it's a little more difficult with three combo effects in AoM's Whoosh); so if you're using them for something awesome, please let me know.

So, in my opinion, I would do away with the Echo and Reverb in place of something more useful for transitions. Also, I hate to do this, but I don't have any suggestions as to what should replace those. I only know that I am personally using them for transitions (which will be great when I get a MF side by side with this mapping) in my mixes and whatnot.

Let me know what you think, and thanks again for your work on this mapping.

Tech Guru

Beatzzz...

Ok got a chance to play with this today. Thoughts:

Assign - works great. I think that's the solution - just assign all the decks. I got confused a few times remember between button 1 and 2 since the are opposites on each side. When I turned on the S4 the off buttons were flashing. It looked dope, but once I turned on effects and then turned them off they were off. Would be neat if they just stayed flashing the whole time. Then it's obvious you have to press the OTHER button to turn them on.

Effects -- how come you have them on hold vs. toggle. For me (and this is all taste) I would rather use the superknob and have the other hand free. Either to do a filter, fuck with the key/pitch etc.

Delay Freeze is a winner. Will add it to one of my free buttons.

Victory.
    The neat thing about a "superknob" is to have it control as many parameters at once with just one knob (and in this case one button). The delay I have mapped has delay in advanced and iceverb and Delay T3 in chained and I think it sounds a tad wetter than the normal delay. It would be a mission to load them and turn three knobs at once.

What I've done also is load effects I would maybe use in combination. So for example, if I like to do delay, but some reverb sometimes sounds cool I will load the super delay and leave reverb turned off then manualy turn it on --- but the super knob still controls the dry/wet. So my one super "combo" has more than one use/sound to it.

I personally am not a big effects guy and I know Beatzz isn't either. Delay, Referb, Filter and some variations of each is about it.

I had an idea of putting a super combo together but haven't tried it out yet with delay and having transpose stretch loaded to the middle 50% where it's even and when the delay and super knob pass the halfway mark the transpose stretch kicks in (soft takeover) and then that delay sound will also have an elevated pitch. Have to try a few things, maybe some filter up top also to really get it to skreetch.

Beatzz, you da man brother. I'm gonna steal the flashing assign lights from you
    Last edited by haze324; 04-23-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Tech Mentor

the mapping works great, the flashing led bug is removed by activating and deactivating the effects.
    I can use one hand holding play while moving the knob using the other one for the transition, but maybe the toggle mode would be much more comfortable.
    If i switch the "FX on" parameter from hold to toggle is enough?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by bigbeatzz View Post
    OK.

Two new files hot off the presses:

Size (Hold Down) + Turn the Dry/Wet Knob = Army Of Me Whoosh
    Rec (Hold Down) = Echo -- You can also turn the knob while pressing
    Play (Hold Down) = Reverb -- You can also turn the knob while pressing
    Undo (Toggles) = Echo Freeze

Whats new?

You can know choose to assign all of the effects to each channel by using the 1 & 2 buttons next to the gain knob.

Channels C & A:
    Button 1 = All Units Assigned to Deck
    Button 2 = All Units Off (Blinking Button)

Channels B & D:
    Button 1 = All Units Off (Blinking Button)
    Button 2 = All Units Assigned to Deck

I tested this and it seemed to work well. It's best to train yourself that the blinking button will turn off the effect. Hitting the regular button will also work but the opposite button will continue blinking. I can also turn off the blinking but I figures it would be a good reference in a dark booth. If it's too busy I will create a non blink version.

To Install:

Click import in the bottom of your preferences, find the file and enjoy the goodness. Install appropriate version to your copy of traktor. The only difference is the T2 has the new effects in the list and will load properly.

Issues:

Sometimes when importing to T2 effect assignments in the S4 firmware goes wacky. It will act like there are only 2 units assigned to work. What I found is you can go into your preferences, switch back to 2 effect units and then switch back again to 4 effect units. This solved my issue in seconds. It's a super easy way to fix the problem; otherwise a reboot of your system should solve the issue. This will only happen the first time so first timers fear not!

Also I'm up for ideas, it was tricky to get this to work. Most of the upper part of the S4 is very restricted in the way it works.

wowza... i'm installing this now. and checking it out... good work.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mi.Lo View Post
    If i switch the "FX on" parameter from hold to toggle is enough?
    Yep.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast