Netbooks?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netbooks?

Default Netbooks?

My birthday's coming up n' I'm lookin to get a new laptop because my parents will hook it up! But they have a price range... and I wanna get something worth my money. So I was just curious, how good are netbooks for DJing? I was thinking of getting like and Acer... most netbooks I've seen don't have more than 2 GB's of RAM and any faster than a 2.0 GHz CPU. Is it worth it?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Nope. You sacrifice, well, almost everything for them: screen size, USB ports, bigger processors, expandability, larger hard drives, more RAM, etc. etc. etc..

It can be done, people do it... but you're better off with a laptop. The screen size alone is awful
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Nope. You sacrifice, well, almost everything for them: screen size, USB ports, bigger processors, expandability, larger hard drives, more RAM, etc. etc. etc..

It can be done, people do it... but you're better off with a laptop. The screen size alone is awful
    +1 while i do run traktor the odd time on my netbook its not an enjoyable experience. Like said the screen size alone is uncomfortable and if your netbook has anything under 2gbs of ram you will struggle to do anything other than pause and play in Traktor. I would never use one out live. I just wouldnt have the confidence in it.
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

I have an I5 processor and 4gb of RAM and that combo works well with Traktor IMO. Was afraid to go with the I3 but that may be unwarranted.
    novation twitch | iMac 27
    blog | twitter

Quote Originally Posted by hallicious View Post
    I have an I5 processor and 4gb of RAM and that combo works well with Traktor IMO. Was afraid to go with the I3 but that may be unwarranted.
    In a netbook or laptop??
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

Well, you CAN use it for DJing. It's not like it's completely useless, not to mention that many netbooks have much more USB ports than a Macbook! But I agree that you should go with a "real" Laptop.
    Although I always keep a netbook with me, as backup device, in case my Macbook dies during a gig. Two full sized Laptops are not just pretty expensive, but also more difficult to carry than "1 1/2".

Mate of mine used to use an Acer Aspire with absolutely no problems - YOU DON'T NEED THE WHIZZIEST LATEST MACBOOK TO DJ OFF! (whilst they're undeniably nice in a shiny gear pr0n way, you don't need one, Traktor probably won't use more than 5% of the capacity of it)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Save up, get laptops with highest processor speed. A 3.2 with 2gb ram is better than 2.2 with 4gb. Same goes for netbooks. Traktor runs well in my laptop with 1gb n 2.8Mhz.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    Mate of mine used to use an Acer Aspire with absolutely no problems - YOU DON'T NEED THE WHIZZIEST LATEST MACBOOK TO DJ OFF! (whilst they're undeniably nice in a shiny gear pr0n way, you don't need one, Traktor probably won't use more than 5% of the capacity of it)
    It's true you don't need the top of the line super awesome laptop to DJ.

But there's something to be said for having something sturdy and reliable. If you can make a netbook work, rock on. But I wouldn't feel comfortable with it, and that's a huge part of the experience as well: security.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by kilobytekaushik View Post
    Save up, get laptops with highest processor speed. A 3.2 with 2gb ram is better than 2.2 with 4gb. Same goes for netbooks. Traktor runs well in my laptop with 1gb n 2.8Mhz.
    tbf, processor speed isn't the be all and end all. You have to take into account the chip architecture (Core 2 Duo, i3, i5, i7 etc)

Oh, and DvlsAdvct - I see your point, but equally, I'm happy with my <£500 Acer laptop. Horses for courses innit.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast