Xone 4d / Traktor Pro Recording mix problem.
    Tech Student

Default Xone 4d / Traktor Pro Recording mix problem.

Hello,

Sorry that my first thread is a cry for help but I'm tearing my hair out here - and I don't have much to tear out!

I've searched loads to try and find the answer but have now given up and decided to ask and see if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

I have a 4d hooked up to my mac which is running Traktor Pro.

I routed all the audio outs and have all four decks playing on the correct channels / output to an external amp and sounds fine.

What I want to do is record a mix and as Traktor has the function I followed some instructions to set to record, the problem I'm having is when I turn the prefs to 'Internal' (which is the only setting that I can actually get audio running to the 'record' function) all my decks play out of the same channel - OK, so sounds like a simple fix, but after hours of messing about I can't seem to find the answer.

Any help would be great.

Thank you!

I hate to break it to you but everything is working as intended.

The internal/external setting refers to the mixer. When you set it to internal then Traktor is the mixer and all audio is sent out a single channel. And this is the only way you can use Traktor's recorder.

When Traktor is set to external all channels are handled individually by the Xone4D.

If you want to record 4 channels from the Xone4D what you will need to do is run the master out from the Xone back into your Mac and use Audacity or some other audio app to record.

Hey bud,
    Welcome to DJTT.
    I had a 4D a long while back and for recording w/o internal mixing you basically have to sacrifice a Channel output to whatever deck it's assigned as in input for recording. I can not remember the exact settings but:
    Recording set to External ,Channel D
    Input Routing I had Channel D (7,8)

Sorry this sounds half-arsed but the important thing is set recording to External ChannelD and play with Routing. Of course you sacrifice a deck.

cheers

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If there is a record in on the Xone you can run a cable from the Booth Out to the Record In and set that as the In (whatever the assignment is) under External Settings.

If you are mixing internally and you are using your Xone as a strict MIDI controller you should be able to do this, I think. But you can't use the Xone as an audio mixer, rather as a MIDI controller. It's Scratch certified, though, so I'm sure there's a way to do this
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Yeah, I really wish I could remember off the top of my head. but there is a way by sacrificing a deck (Deck D for instance) that it can be routed in software and still use external mixing. I don't recall having to use an RCA from Booth to Record but as Dvls states that should work.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Aren't there like a million ins on a 4D? there's gotta be some way to do this.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Ah, I think the Xone can split channel 4.

From an old NI post by marc_tf:
    "
    Make sure the top red switch of channel 4 is not pressed: this is the MIX Channel selection.
    This will set the mix output to Soundcard input 4.
    Then set the recording in the Traktor Prefs to External and select channel D.

Good luck."

EDIT:
    Also check this Q/A. It's a bit dated but pertinent and translates well:
    http://allen-heath.helpserve.com/ind...barticleid=137

Tech Student

Cheers for the fast responses everyone!

I did read something about the external setting to channel D, but couldn't get my head around it - probably as I was still thinking 4 decks!

space monkey I'll check that link out and have a play aroud tomorrow, if all else fails I'll got for the PO route.

thanks again everyone, cool!