My First Mix

Thread: My First Mix

Tech Student

Default My First Mix

Hey guys this is my 1st post in this forum and I am pretty new to the whole DJ thingy, I was hoping if people could give me some adivce , like what i could do better and stuff , her is my first mix http://soundcloud.com/lucanasswetter...e-smukkeste-i#

the first transition is a little off-time (i.e. you cue the new song in the third bar of a 16-beat/4-bar set, faded the first track out a little too stiff, and the song drops on the 2nd beat of the third bar of a 16-beat/4-bar set). the second transition drops on the off-beat exactly (i.e. 1-AND-2-AND-3-AND-4-AND, the "ands" being the off-beat, and on which you drop the third song). and the last transition is definitely your best. it works. it actually sounds pretty sweet at 5:38 where you cut time.

the reason why i say so much about timing is because that's my one suggestion to every new DJ, not just you. time is one of the most integral parts of music composition, especially with dance music. you never want to throw off the beat. count to 16. or count 4 bars of 4 beats (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4... 2, 2, 3, 4... 3, 2, 3, 4... 4, 2, 3, 4). you will feel the song resolve after 16 beats/4 bars. if you start counting at the beginning of any song, every new part (e.g. the build, breakdown, drop) will start on 1. either way you count it, NEVER DROP A NEW SONG ON ANY BEAT OTHER THAN 1. when your mixing becomes more advanced, you can start learning new methods. but if you stick to this advice for now, your mixes will be a LOT better.

'tis a very pleasant sounding first mix nonetheless. good work.