2 Noob Questions...

Default 2 Noob Questions...

I have just started DJing in a small club in Portugal. I have never really dj'd commercial music. Im just wondering if any experienced people on this forum have any tips or methods to make the muysic blend smoothly. I use the VCI-100 with the Dj Tech Tools Mapping On Traktor Scratch PRO. My firm Ware version is 2 bellow the highest im pretty sure.

My second question, is there a massive difference between sound quality on a professional sound system when mixing between a song that is 320 in to one that is 256 Kbps?

Would really appreciate the help!

Thanks in advance...

You'll want to be playing only 320s if you're playing at a club or a pro sound system. The sound difference is noticeable.
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

Where can i buy commercial music in 320? if i buy off i tunes its 256 max

Thanks for the help

junodownload
    beatport

i play on 256 in a lot of places as its what amazon give, and there isnt a BIG difference, aslong as your playing above 192 it shouldnt sound terrible
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

It shouldn't sound terrible, but keep in mind that doesn't mean it won't. I've definitely head a difference, but not always. Hell, sometimes 128's CAN sound fine, but more often than not they won't.

Beatport is a good idea, old fashioned CDs ripped down are good... hell, I've heard good things about AAC files as well, which you can get at a higher quality from iTunes and then convert to mp3.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    It shouldn't sound terrible, but keep in mind that doesn't mean it won't. I've definitely head a difference, but not always. Hell, sometimes 128's CAN sound fine, but more often than not they won't.

Beatport is a good idea, old fashioned CDs ripped down are good... hell, I've heard good things about AAC files as well, which you can get at a higher quality from iTunes and then convert to mp3.
    Beatport you struggle to find commercial music on (Top 10 in the US/UK charts). I suppose its ok for house music downloads.

How can you get the high quality ACC files from itunes, its not just right click > convert to an ACC file is it? Because im guessing that will just be the same quallity but in an ACC format lol

Also having to go out and buy cds from the charts around here is very difficult lol, id have to go to Porto or Lisbon which takes forever lol.

(also anyone have any help on the mixing front :P)

Thanks again guys

Tech Mentor

Yeah, +1 on the 256 being fine thing. Most people won't even notice, 'cause they drunk.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daviwandeag View Post
    Beatport you struggle to find commercial music on (Top 10 in the US/UK charts). I suppose its ok for house music downloads.

How can you get the high quality ACC files from itunes, its not just right click > convert to an ACC file is it? Because im guessing that will just be the same quallity but in an ACC format lol

Also having to go out and buy cds from the charts around here is very difficult lol, id have to go to Porto or Lisbon which takes forever lol.

(also anyone have any help on the mixing front :P)

Thanks again guys
    I could have sword I'd gotten higher quality tracks through iTunes but that could just be my mistake.

As far as mixing goes, every transition can be a little different and there are tons of techniques to work with. What do you do now with the music you like?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I could have sword I'd gotten higher quality tracks through iTunes but that could just be my mistake.

As far as mixing goes, every transition can be a little different and there are tons of techniques to work with. What do you do now with the music you like?
    I think i may have some of the mixing covered as i have seen on juno they offer some sort of club remixes of a lot of chart music that has an intro beat, middle beat and end beat so that will make it a lot easier to mix and fiddle with!

Thanks for your help im pretty sure both questions are now sorted.. god bless juno, even if the site is a pile of ****