First real gig!

Thread: First real gig!

Default First real gig!

Hey everyone,

Making my debut as Ryan Leo tomorrow night at the new dance lounge in St.John's, NL.

I'll be playing at "Escape" from 10 til close I think. I'm pretty excited. I thought I was only to be playing an hour or something but turns out I will be playing downstairs and DJ Grayster will be playing upstairs.

The guy running the show told me he wants top 40's so I'm trying to get 1/3 of my set to be top 40's rest will be my picks of house, tech and prog this year.

This is the facebook event. Look forward to seeing more of me around St.John's and then... the World... muahahahaha

Good luck mate and most important, have fun!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Congratulations man! Kill it .

yep! Good luck man!
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

+1 on the have fun.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Good luck chap!
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

congrats dude. One step closer to all the hooker and blow in the world
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Whatta ya at Dj Techtools?

Well..

My gig went pretty well as great as it possible could. All the right people were impressed with my performance and I managed to snatch up a couple extra lifes at Escape.

Heres the details:

Got down to the bar. It was suppose to be 1 DJ up and 1 DJ down. Due to unforeseen circumstances I started upstairs. First time on a DJM-800 and I couldn't get one of the timecodes for tratkor to start working. Turns out that theres a little almost invisible switch below the female RCAs that switches from CD to digital? I dunno it fixed my problem so I'll keep going. The Monitor was tits up for some reason so I had to mix in my ears. It took me a couple minutes to figure out how to cue the headphone properly but I managed to get a little bit more comfortable. Man it was like a buzz on. I was so nervous and there was so much adernal going through me I could barely think. DJ Grayster and Leo Van Golden where there fixing up the setup downstairs and then just as I got comfortable, it was time to move downstairs.

The Owner was under a bit of stress and kept hassling me to get on the go downstairs which is alright, whatever. So I move to downstairs. Grayster starts playing upstairs as I leave(timecode/soundcard switch). So I go downstairs to find this 3-channel behringer mixer plugged into a sound board ran into the power amp. The master out was on the board and behringer mixer was sub-par. I had one cdj plugged in backwards for a time being and I had to drop a track with a very small silence with a mouse click once because I was yet to figure out the soundcard problem). I had no monitor soI had to mix in my headphones again. (Gladly this is the method that seems to work for me).

Finally I got setup and got comfortable. I was in the dark the behringer mixer didnt have anything on it to help in the dark so I was on the cell phone(Snake like for next time) but once I got a bit of flow it was alright.

Something happened with capacity order or something so they ended up closing it down at 1. I had enough time to rock the crowd for a couple hours though.

There was a point when I was looking through my songs and all the names looked foreign. It was scary.

I had an awesome time and I plan to take over newfoundland.

Things that I learned:

Headphone mixing with when you dont have a monitor or theres bleed from another dj or you can't quite hear what the crowd experiences but you need to rock there faces.

I need a snake light or flashlight

People like you dancing.

I need a business card

I need to drop songs sooner. I like playing songs out but last night I had these gut feelings about dropping the next tune but I waited til the next phrase to do it. I think once I get the reflexes in the club setting a bit more refined i should have it down. I can hold the party down though thats the important part.

Enjoy my long ass post because I enjoyed experiencing it.

Thanks to DJTT because I pretty much develop my own approach to things based on the many hour I spend reading these forums.

Now I need to get some internet PR on the go

Congrats! Sounds like you had fun!