DJ Insurance

Thread: DJ Insurance

Tech Convert

Default DJ Insurance

Whats up everyone?!?! Question for you...this djing thing is starting to get pretty serious and I was wondering...do any of you have DJ insurance? Some venues have been asking me about this I was hoping you guys could help me out. Grazie!

Quote Originally Posted by Fr@nz View Post
    Whats up everyone?!?! Question for you...this djing thing is starting to get pretty serious and I was wondering...do any of you have DJ insurance? Some venues have been asking me about this I was hoping you guys could help me out. Grazie!

Depending on where you are, they could be asking about you being insured as a business. IE - you set up your rig, some drunk twat falls over, grabs one of your 100 lb. mounted speakers on the way down, and knock it over someones head. Insurance will cover that in the event of a lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr@nz View Post
    you would really need to find out what sort of insurance they require...

but until then we had a discussion a few months ago regarding the issue of insurance. you can find it here

Tech Convert

Thanks! I found some good legitmate providers. I didn't know they were even around. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Depending on where you are, they could be asking about you being insured as a business. IE - you set up your rig, some drunk twat falls over, grabs one of your 100 lb. mounted speakers on the way down, and knock it over someones head. Insurance will cover that in the event of a lawsuit.
    Unless you're playing on your own property, I can't see how this would be your problem legally. Drunk twats = covered by the venue's insurance, and I can't imagine them getting away with pinning it on the DJ, even if it's your equipment. They let you in knowing the risks, they served the twat drinks in the first place, they let you play that devil music all night long.... etc. If you're doing a lot of corporate gigs in hotels and convention centers and the like though I could see them asking, in that context they might expect you to be covered.

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Unless you're playing on your own property, I can't see how this would be your problem legally. Drunk twats = covered by the venue's insurance, and I can't imagine them getting away with pinning it on the DJ, even if it's your equipment. They let you in knowing the risks, they served the twat drinks in the first place, they let you play that devil music all night long.... etc.
    I totally hear you, and idealistically, you're 1000% right. Unfortunately though, at the end of the day, if anything you brought with you ends up injuring someone, accountability is yours. If you are getting paid, you are considered a private contractor unless otherwise stated by the venue/promotion company/business entity. Most places won't ever think to discuss it, but that's the way it happens. Think of it like this... if you hired a party supply company to bring an inflatable bounce house to your home for a childs birthday or a construction company to do work to your house, and something that belongs to one of those companies were to injure a yourself or worse, a guest at your house, that company would be unavoidably responsible.