More poorly mixed Drum and Bass
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question More poorly mixed Drum and Bass

Just a mix I wanted to share and get some help on what I could do better, what I did well and what I could do differently. My son decided he wanted to play near the end so this is why there is the messy cut and Rockwell track at the end of the mix

Tracklist -

Specific - She Dreams (Nu Directions)
    Sinistarr - Anorak (Nu Directions)
    Redeyes - Blue Note (Spearhead Records)
    Enea - All Nights (Basswerk Files)
    Anakin - Sky Purple, Yellow and Red (Basswerk)
    Gen - Reactor (Fokuz Recordings)
    Kantyze - Health Care (Basswerk)
    Bcee - Glitter Balls (Spearhead Records)
    Netsky - Your Way (Radar Records)
    Lenzman - Caught Up (Spearhead Records)
    Netsky - Hold On to Love (Spearhead Records)
    Commix - Be True (Metalheadz)
    Total Science - Soul Patrol feat. MC Conrad [Total Science and Bungle's Sunny Side Up Mix] (C.I.A.)
    Rockwell - Stowaway Dub (Digital Soundboy Recording Co.)

Thanks for listening and please comment

Tech Guru

Some really good tunes in there mate, had a quick listen through - will download and give you some feedback on Monday, will listen to it on the way to Uni.

Definitely my vibe of DnB though, good selection.

Tech Wizard

i personally like it alot.
    check mine out if you have the time.

Maxted : thanks for checking in, looking forward to your educated (finish that shit man) opinion, I like the liquid that isn't all jump up sounding (like hospital has become)

Jamesmajin: thanks for listening, if there is anything you could give some constructive criticism to in the mix I'd love to hear it. gave a listen to your set was pretty good, but I'm not really that familiar with modern Jump Up so I couldn't tell where the mixes were to be honest.

On it.
    Will drop you some critique on monday evening once I've had a listen.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Wizard

Jamesmajin: thanks for listening, if there is anything you could give some constructive criticism to in the mix I'd love to hear it. gave a listen to your set was pretty good, but I'm not really that familiar with modern Jump Up so I couldn't tell where the mixes were to be honest.[/QUOTE]

if you cant tell that must be a good thing then right?

but your mix is good, remember to take the bass out of the track your mixing into until you want it to become the focus of the set

Could anyone point me in the direction of more stuff like the kantzye track on there (Health Care) the comment that beatport has on it says it's hardstep but what I like about it is the whole rolling bassline to it. if anyone could give me some labels that do that sort of thing I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Dude, loving this mix.

Really nice playlist going on there. I wish more people would mix the old spearhead stuff. Its got a really nice soulful vibe. Properly good dnb.

So yeah, tracklist is excellent

The mixing is proper tight too. Youve come on leaps and bounds! I really rate the effects usage, adds a nice, unexpected element to the mix. I think you kinda overcooked it a bit, my personal taste is for more sparing usage. But what I did hear was properly timed and well thought out.

A couple of strange key clashes. Mostly due to that wierd key change in Be True though. Thats a bastard to mix to. Mostly sopt on though it must be said. Great work
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Flash,

Thanks for the input. I think that the old spearhead sound is what I'm looking for with the liquid stuff. Smooth and soulful with just enough edge. Thanks for the positive input on the set. I understand what you mean by overcooked with the effects but the way I make a recording (as in I just decide to hit the record button and see what happens ) kinda lends itself to overdone effects. I agree that sparingly is the way to go it's just hard to resist hitting the buttons on the x1 . The keychange in Be True is part of what makes the song so great...how could I deal with it harmonically, use the key knob in traktor?

Again thanks for the input

[quote=bigheadmikelove;260178]Flash,
    I understand what you mean by overcooked with the effects but the way I make a recording (as in I just decide to hit the record button and see what happens ) [\QUOTE]

If you made that set without any pre-planning im impressed. It usually takes me a while to sort a playlist thats nicely harmonic and flows perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    The keychange in Be True is part of what makes the song so great...how could I deal with it harmonically, use the key knob in traktor?
    Be True is just one of those songs thats a pain in the ass. I wouldnt bother trying to adjust the key. You'd end up confusing yourself.
    You could try just looping the last 16 bars before the drop though, if I remember rightly theres no key change there, just a steady riff. But you lose a lot of the intro.

If you rate the old spearhead stuff, check the early shogun stuff & some soul:r too. Very similar vibe.

I'd whole heartedly recommend checking the entire Lenzman back catalogue too. Fade away has to be one of my fave all time liquid rollers, stellar on his new EP is rocking too, as is the new tune from Seba; before i can breathe.

What gear are you on out of interest? manual beatmatching / syncing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast