APC 40 mapping feedback
    Tech Mentor

Default APC 40 mapping feedback

I'm working on a APC40 mapping planning, I dont even have the device (yet).
    The mapping is for APC40-APC20 combination. APC20 part would be a copy of the matrix.
    The decks are layed out as AC-DB (same as my normal setup)

But I got this so far:
    Google docs

Anyone can help with stuff I am missing or things that could be layed out differently.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

You will need to put the APC in dumb mode (open/close Ableton before opening Traktor) for the Track selection buttons to work the way you want, otherwise they will be switching the lower knobs' banks as well. IMO you should take advantage of these banks and map them for sample volume/filters, fx units, etc. Trading 9 banks of 8 knobs and buttons for 9 rubber buttons doesn't sound too smart to me. You can map the knobs to update themselves with the soft value so they won't jump when switching fx or whatever.

In your mapping, I would use the right faders for sample volume control rather than filters, or use a modifier so they act as filters only when the filter is on (with soft takeover).
    Last edited by padi_04; 04-04-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    IMO you should take advantage of these banks and map them for sample volume/filters, fx units, etc. Trading 9 banks of 8 knobs and buttons for 9 rubber buttons doesn't sound too smart to me. You can map the knobs to update themselves with the soft value so they won't jump when switching fx or whatever.
    In that way the track selection buttons work like 9 modifiers for the device control section, right? That is better indeed, I wish I had the APC in front of me right now so I could actually try... Need to buy it first...

use a modifier so they act as filters only when the filter is on (with soft takeover).
    That sounds like a better solution. even tho no one likes soft take over.
    Make every filter on/off button a modifier for the volume fader. also adds 12 buttons on the top.

hopefully I can buy the apc soon!

Quote Originally Posted by joostiisme View Post
    In that way the track selection buttons work like 9 modifiers for the device control section, right? That is better indeed, I wish I had the APC in front of me right now so I could actually try... Need to buy it first...
    Yup, but hardwired, so you don't need to set them up. You could have 74 suberknobs if you wanted to or different bank calling different fx combination/presets.

Tech Mentor

Yup, but hardwired, so you don't need to set them up. You could have 74 suberknobs if you wanted to or different bank calling different fx combination/presets.
    nice, more and more about that thing that is awesome!
    74 superknobs, thats alot of mapping!

going to think this thru.
    In combination mode the track selection buttons on a APC 20 will have the same functionality, right?

Quote Originally Posted by joostiisme View Post
    nice, more and more about that thing that is awesome!
    74 superknobs, thats alot of mapping!

going to think this thru.
    In combination mode the track selection buttons on a APC 20 will have the same functionality, right?
    i guess, i never used one

Tech Mentor

cant wait till I have the actual unit.
    will have to wait at least till mid april.

Tech Mentor

are the track select buttons also midi buttons?
    so can you map anything to them when not in dumb mode.
    Im thinking of making them switches for effects to store presets, but I dont know If i can only change the midi note of the device knobs.
    or if the track select buttons themselves send out midi too?