Novation Launchpad vs. Akai APC20

Default Novation Launchpad vs. Akai APC20

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a pad controller and I can't seem to decide what exactly I want to pick up. I use Ableton and Traktor, sometimes sync the two and produce on Ableton and Pro Toos. I've heard great things about both the Novation Launchpad and the APC20 and I'm really looking for anyone's feedback on the goods/bads of either of these controllers. One thing that I can see already is that the Launchpad has a lot more mappings on the forums than the APC and that the buttons have more of a click feel, compared to the APC's more pad feel. I'm not really worrying about sliders and encoders because my M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 has a lot of mappable sliders and encoders, so I'm not tripping on the lack of sliders. To me the launchpad seems like a somewhat better option, but I'm not 100% sure.
    MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yep. View Post
    Hello all,

I'm in the market for a pad controller and I can't seem to decide what exactly I want to pick up. I use Ableton and Traktor, sometimes sync the two and produce on Ableton and Pro Toos. I've heard great things about both the Novation Launchpad and the APC20 and I'm really looking for anyone's feedback on the goods/bads of either of these controllers. One thing that I can see already is that the Launchpad has a lot more mappings on the forums than the APC and that the buttons have more of a click feel, compared to the APC's more pad feel. I'm not really worrying about sliders and encoders because my M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 has a lot of mappable sliders and encoders, so I'm not tripping on the lack of sliders. To me the launchpad seems like a somewhat better option, but I'm not 100% sure.
    In your case, get the launchpad

I like apc20 more just because of the faders...Since you don't need them go for the launchpad.
    And if I'm not mistaken, apc needs external power supply, launchpad doesn't

If you do need encoders faders knobs etc then definitely the Launchpad

Tech Guru

the faders on the apc series have a pretty good amount of resistance imo..
    not really good for quick fader movements
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.