Akai mpd24 knob jittering
    Tech Wizard

Default Akai mpd24 knob jittering

So here is the deal. My Akai mpd24 has like 3 knobs that constantly sends midi message that indicates knob turning when it isn't turning. That can be annoying. So i was wondering, as it is a huge deal to get a new one and i think akai won't fix it, if i can just change the knobs by unsoldering the old ones and solder new one? and can i then use like push knob?

Replacing the pots yourself sounds like a decent idea but you will only be able to use the exact same type of knob. The MPD24's firmware does not support push encoders.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

@kurbitur did you update your firmware? did you have this problem before update, if you did it?
    TouchOSC for androd/iPhone WIN/MAC+TSI ableton live...
    androidosc.webs.com

the best advice i can give you is to buy a cleaning/lubing solution (spray usually, a small bottle should be around 5/10 $, it's usually labelled as tuner cleaning solution or contact cleaner and there should be different brands
    http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/801b.html for example
    and
    http://www.tasovision.com/html/tasovision/tvs02ing.htm i used lubri-limp/1
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/electr...ct-cleaner.htm for a mini e-how )

Once armed with this and a screw driver, gently take apart the mpd, there should be a video on youtube about improving the mpd pads ( the video is for the 32, but its exactly the same fore the 24 ), you can get an idea how it is inside, but dont worry its not very complicated, just dont forget to take the faders and knobs caps, and un-screw the bolt under some of the knobs and you should be fine.
    then its a matter of cleaning the knobs with a piece of tissue, spraying the contact cleaner with the precision thingie, moving the knob, cleaning with a tissue, waiting an hour or two, re-do this, and you should be golden.
    I dont think you would need to replace the knobs, but if you do please keep me posted on how it worked ( and if you are ready to experiment, try with a finite knob and not with those stupid ass infinite ones).

Cheers, and dont worry unless you go hulk on it, i think its hard to break something in this thing.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Tech Wizard

Yeah i have heard this is a problem so i'm going to try the solution on cleaning them this weekend as it's crazy at school these days. I will keep you informed. But do you think it is hard to get new knobs that are exact the same? and yeah i upgraded to firmware 1.9 (something .9) and it didn't change anything

TouchOSC for androd/iPhone WIN/MAC+TSI ableton live...
    androidosc.webs.com

Does anyone know the specs of the potentiometers used in the MPD apert from 2.5kb? Size? I have the same problems with some of the faders too, but cleaning helps only for some of them. Does anybody know which ones I can buy? The supplier is Alpha by the way. Cheers.

Well the easiest way is to take it apart and measure them up
    They definitely are "standard" knobs (minus the menu one, it's an encoder), they just are infinite rotation.
    The faders are pretty much standard 10k.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Thanks a lot! This will help me a lot. I have even found some, but most of them have resistance values of 5kOhm instead of the 2.5kOhm needed. Does that matter in terms of midi?
    By the way, here is the website of the supplier http://www.alphapotentiometers.net/h..._rot_pot_.html