1D + two X1

Thread: 1D + two X1

Tech Wizard

Default 1D + two X1

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum, be nice...

I use a Vestax Typhoon with Traktor Pro, but got bored now, because it doesn't offer me enough control, neither the right type of control, really.

After a thorough investigation i figured that the combination of one 1D and two X1 might fit me very well. Also it must be mentioned, that my budget is quite tight, meaning i will buy all my gear on ebay and plan to spend about 400-500 Euro (living in Germany). So don't bother telling me about the S4, its great, but out of reach right now.

Back to the controllers. The way I intend to use them is:
    - 4 Deck Mixer from faders on the 1D and knobs of both X1 + eq kill switches somewhere
    - Knobs and Rotarys on 1D for FX
    - Fit hotcues, loops and basic control into the leftovers

What I like about this setup is the power of mapping whatever I want wherever I want. Also I don't really need jog-wheels, since I rarely used them on my Typhoon. I might miss the fader inbetween two decks though, a knob for that maybe?

So what do you think? Will this work at all? Is it worth the money? And mostly could I get something better for the price?

cheers in advance...

you wont be able to buy all that gear for 400-500 euro.
    I like the idea, but why map the effects to the 1D when the kontrol X1 can do that? Use the knobs on the 1D to do EQ. And I suppose it can be done but I am extremely turned off not having a crossfader. bad idea, in my opinion. at LEAST got for the Xone 2D, which does have a crossfader, but would probably eat up your whole budget.
    my opinion.

Hello! Welcome to the community!
    I think thats totally unneeded. I would go for some other combination, maybe ddm4000 and 1d.
    The beauty of having a midi controller is that you can map whatever you like however you like. I would fit all controls to 1d and use external mixer.

Tech Mentor

i'd go cheaper and get 2 x1s with a maudio mixtrack pro

Tech Wizard

I actually know for a fact that i can get the 3 controller for 400-500 on ebay.

Maybe something i didnt mention is that i like to keep my setup small and portable since i change towns and countries quite often. Another thing is that what i want to do is more on the controllerism side, so more knobs and buttons means more fun to me. I thought about the nocturn for the fader in between decks, is it any good? Maybe i am on a completely wrong track, dunno.

Tech Wizard

I just found out about the Ohm64, looks like a very nice piece of hardware and also I can get it for under 500. Moreover it provides exactly all the controls I needed and wanted from my initial idea. Has anyone used it before? Is it compatible with traktor? Does it need a sound card? Anything else about it that is worth mentioning?

Tech Guru

Its midi, so yes its compatible with Traktor.

you still need a soundcard.

The nocturns fader is horrible.

why not 3 X1's?
    or 2 X1's with MidiFighter mappings set to the buttons?
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Wizard

Nocturns fader? Are you talking about novation nocturn or the Ohm64? Or is there a connection?

EDIT: Aaah, you were referring to an earlier post.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I would go for 2 X1's and a midi fighter, you don't have to have faders the X1 knobs would work just fine.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Why not just order a midi-fighter and Akai LPD8 to supplement the typhoon? Honestly, I have an S4, and needed a few more knobs and buttons for super-knobs, eq kills, and the like. The Akai LPD8 cost me 58 USD from amazon and it's awesome. Mapping is easy in traktor and I've only mapped 1 and 1/2 channels. I want to get a midi-fighter just for the preset mappings that you can DL for traktor so I can experiment. I'm not really a controllerist style DJ, and perhaps you are, but I think an Akai LPD8 would be perfect. You just have to deal with tiny knobs, but it's not such a big deal. That in addition to the preset mappings on a midi-fighter would be all that you needed to control sample decks etc... AND you could still afford traktor pro 2 if you haven't upgraded yet which will expand the functionality of traktor giving you sample decks and the like!

From your post I get the impression you want to ditch the typhoon entirely. If you're on a budget, that's a waste of money. I would suggest spending some time and custom midi-mapping it if you haven't already. Guys here have done some amazing stuff with little more than a VCI-100, so I would suggest keeping your typhoon and simply supplementing with a few new peripheral controllers that don't break the bank and have a lot of bang for the buck. The Midi-fighter and LPD8 are two that I see recommended a lot. Your set up would still be compact enough to pack it up in a bag and travel, and you'd have more than enough buttons and knobs to keep you busy.