song quality, same bitrate
    Tech Wizard

Default song quality, same bitrate

i recently got some music from a friend. all are 320 kps,
    but some are sooooo bland in terms of dynamic range, not enough bass. so one dimensional, but are same file size and bitrate as the tracks that sound amazing and crisp and full and lush. why is this? and is there anyway to improve the sound? i tried programs like platinum notes but i dont hear a difference... ( only headphones so far) need to try on my speakers when i get home.

Quote Originally Posted by kofman13 View Post
    i recently got some music from a friend. all are 320 kps,
    but some are sooooo bland in terms of dynamic range, not enough bass. so one dimensional, but are same file size and bitrate as the tracks that sound amazing and crisp and full and lush. why is this? and is there anyway to improve the sound? i tried programs like platinum notes but i dont hear a difference... ( only headphones so far) need to try on my speakers when i get home.
    Sounds like they're up converted from lower quality mp3's. Not much you can do to improve them I'm afraid. I've always assumed but never proved that older tracks on Beatport that are 320 are really just upconverted from lesser quality mp3's.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    I've always assumed but never proved that older tracks on Beatport that are 320 are really just upconverted from lesser quality mp3's.
    Yeah I bought some 90's house tracks recently that sounded really bad. Like a waste of money bad.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

It also depends on the encoding. If you got them from a friend, there's a chance that he encoded them using a crappy codec or bad settings, regardless of the bitrate.

Bitrate implies quality encoding less than you would think. Bad encoders are more rare these days than they were during the dark ages (early/mid '90s) but they still exist.