Firmware Solder Connection
    Tech Wizard

Question Firmware Solder Connection

Hey Guys,

I have been trying to flash my VCI-100 for about a week now, trying a couple of different computers using a Serial -to- Serial cable and a bunch of settings.

I have been getting the 15024 error no matter what I have tried.

Initiating BOOT SCI sequence
    Attempting 9600
    Attempting 4800
    Attempting 2400
    Attempting 1200
    Error No 15024: Boot failed

Initially I tried powering the unit off of the PC usb, recognizing that when i power it up, only a single red light tuns on, and with the upgrade kit attached when it powers up no red light, so I assmued it was in boot mode. HOWEVER, I read one user say that they powered the unit with their macbook and that solved the problem. I tried powering the unit with my macbook, and realized that even with the upgrade kit attached, all the buttons and jog wheels light up so apparently I am not in boot mode.

Upon further inspection of the upgrade kit, I noticed something interesting on the solder points of the header that attaches to the VCI-100. solder from two of the pins (the two closest to the serial number stamped to the upgrade kit) has bridged across so that both pins are connected. Im just wondering if this could be giving me the problem and if I can just suck this solder away so they are no longer touching each other?

Sorry for the long question but I wanted to be as descriptive as possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi blindset,
    I think you maybe right.
    Look at the pics of my upgrade kit.
    I upgraded without any problems.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by Anthony More; 01-16-2009 at 04:09 PM.
    Macbookpro 2.4 i5 4gb
    Traktor Pro 1.2.6.
    Black VCI-100 Mod firmware 1.3
    Presonus Firebox

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the pictures, they were much appreciated. So I did try and remove some of the solder by heating it up and banging it on a table so it slides off. This seems to have removed the bridge between the two pins.

I tired turning the unit on while connected to my macbook and I either get the regular buttons lit up, or other times I will get 1 or 2 lights (like the play or pause buttons) lit up and then Both the blue and red lights on the job wheels on. Tried flashing on both and still get the same error.

I am at a complete loss now, maybe I will try a USB -to- serial cable...?

hey blindset- shoot me an email:

service at djtechtools and we will send you out a new kit. Sounds like a solder problem- as they are all done by hand.