Venue Types

Thread: Venue Types

Default Venue Types

So I was kind of wondering today, how much venue types differ these days and what people prefer to perform or even just attend? What I mean is all the DJs I've seen have been like a "show" setting or at a festival... there's like a stage and pretty lights and a whole setup... are there still underground raves/clubs I've heard about still happenin, in America (where I'm from) or otherwise? How much do they differ from other settings, show or festival? I dunno this pic in the "Show pics of Gigs" thread by Viirus got me thinking about it

Quote Originally Posted by Viirus::.. View Post
    I mean c'mon look at that candy kid, and those dudes to the left of the table. Looks like a fantastic time. Where would one be able to experience these sort of events in America? Er at least those of us under the age of 21....

Definately come to Europe if you want to get this stuff under 21.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyte View Post
    ^this

I've not done festivals but I've played for about 1k people for a year as a resident. It's hard to say really, I love my new gig which is very small (about 200 people) and it's always crowded, people are standing outside for a smoke, running in when a song comes that they love. I do Hip Hop though so that might be just different.

I love the close interaction and how I see and feel the reaction immediately. But festivals and big venues make you more money so that is an important part, too.

It always depends on the music as well of course.
    MBP 15" | Traktor Pro | Denon DN-MC6000 | Native Instruments Kontrol X1

Hip Hop / R'n'B / Dubstep

Jack Bastard

I prefer smaller venues these days, nothing more than 350-400 capacity, it's far more intimate and you really feel like you're all part of something great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfunk View Post
    I mean c'mon look at that candy kid, and those dudes to the left of the table. Looks like a fantastic time. Where would one be able to experience these sort of events in America? Er at least those of us under the age of 21....
    most of the top clubs in melbourne are intimate night spots similar to what you are looking for.

Banned

I've not done festivals but I have played for about 1k people for a year as a resident. It is hard to say , I love my new gig which is tiny & it is always crowded, people are standing outside for a smoke, walking in when a song comes that they love. I do Hip Hop though so that might be different.

Why did you quote my text?
    MBP 15" | Traktor Pro | Denon DN-MC6000 | Native Instruments Kontrol X1

Hip Hop / R'n'B / Dubstep

Quote Originally Posted by Whyte View Post
    Dang I was just in Italy over the past summer for a month... should've hit up some clubs...

Although I was in a bar where there was a live DJ and an empty dancefloor. He kinda just played a bunch of Major Lazer hahahah. Oh well I guess I'll just have to wait til next time! Which might be when I'm 21 anyway...

there still is a big underground scene here in los angeles

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Mentor

Still things happening in WNY (Buffalo/Rochester, NY).. I don't think the term "underground" can really be used anymore but there's still the occasional rave in a non bar/club setting. There's a big club in Buffalo that gets the big names (Tiesto this Sunday) and then there's a smaller club about 250 ppl where Derrick Carter played last week. There's a couple of other bars that have either a basement or back room that have that "old rave feel" to them.

Personally, I love the variety.. was great seeing John O'Callaghan play in a club that holds a few hundred people and then going to one of those small bars after for some dubshit. I loved the small vibe of 200 people getting down to 4 hrs to Derrick Carter and now I can't wait for 1000+ at Tiesto. Variety keeps it fun and interesting!