Bpm Transitions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bpm Transitions

Tech Convert

Default Bpm Transitions

My early observation of mixing is that when using the sync button on traktor going from 1 song to the next the via a smooth transition requires the 2 songs to be within 3 bpm of each other. I find any more than this and the song that is being mixed into sound too disimilar from its original sound and unpleasant although I'm sure this is not a universal rule. My question is that if you are mixing from one song to the next and want it synced together how do you effectively go to a higher or lower bpm from song to song?

Quote Originally Posted by takipanos View Post
    My early observation of mixing is that when using the sync button on traktor going from 1 song to the next the via a smooth transition requires the 2 songs to be within 3 bpm of each other. I find any more than this and the song that is being mixed into sound too disimilar from its original sound and unpleasant although I'm sure this is not a universal rule. My question is that if you are mixing from one song to the next and want it synced together how do you effectively go to a higher or lower bpm from song to song?
    The only reason you notice, is because you know it's happening - most people listening wont notice the other track is playing faster than usual, especially if you have keylock on.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Are you usig the pitch fader or sync button to match the bpms? Or are you trying to mix a 135 bpm song into a 125 bpm song without changing the tempo of either songs?

keylock. sync. ---- everything should sound peachy (maybe not to you but other people wont notice)

theres also "transition" tools that people make in a DAW that can go from like 70-100bpm which are always good when making a change..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iZAlxe-BRM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Convert

I'm using the sync button. So if I'm playing at 125 and want to play a 128 bpm song when I hit the sync button it obviously goes to 125.

Then if keylock is activated then there should be minimal difference in sound. And the only person that will pick it up is you. I wouldn't worry about it. And if you still think something is wrong then I would recommend posting a sample for us to review.

.... so what exactly is the issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Keylock.

Also....harmonic mixing by using the tracks Key.

This together with keylock is the best way to go apparently.

I don't use keylock....but am going to try it out with TSP2.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Convert

Lesson learned, keylock is your friend. Thanks guys.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yes keylock is a great tool and one that I have on almost all the time. But there are tons of ways to switch BPMs. In fact I would highly recommend it. After an hour or two of just 125 bpm I usually want to set the DJ on fire.

Now my preferred method of doing this is to do the transition and gradually increase the tempo through breakdowns. If there is a full cut of silence that can be the best time to reset the tempo, especially if it's just a small difference of a few percent.

As for drastically changing tempo, sometimes it just works better. I have a few songs that just work SO much better at + 15% or - 10%.

Tempo changes, in my opinion, are the hardest technique for a DJ to do correctly. ESPECIALLY a DJ who only uses Sync to make transitions. Just keep trying different things and you'll figure out what works for you. And keep fucking with which songs you mix. Certain songs just don't mesh at all with long blends and, while the energy might shift in a genius way, it will require you to mix them differently.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast