Just drop in to say YO and want a few hints and tips
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    In the middle of no where. have a look http://maps.google.co.za/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Default Just drop in to say YO and want a few hints and tips

Hey
    I am new in the DJ business and want to start fresh get help and help those that i can. The site looks nice and friendly. Since I am 17 and woke up this year from my gaming life ( Cant belief I wasted so much years in doing nothing ) I want help getting the right equipment this year. I want to start practicing this year 2011. Next year i want to start DJing at clubs. I am already reading up what to do what i need and allot of extra details. I live in a small town and the only club we have, have a DJ that really doesn't know what he does and pays maybe 12 $ a night or so i have heard from my ex. Anyway I want your advice on if i am going to buy the right equipment. I am shipping my equipment in from Sound Select.The reason I am buying from this site is because it seem to be the only place I can order from in South Africa. This is my equipment for the time being and I think i can reach with my pocket money.

1. 1 x Behringer VMX200USB 2-Channel DJ Mixer for $239.850
    2. 2 x Stanton T.50 Budget Belt DriveTurntable for $ 269.7

My monthly pocket money is 60 $ and will be getting a vacation job at the 2nd end of term 2. Is this the right beginning just to see if I want to do this and did I miss something ? I am DJing at the moment on a program called Virtual DJ. Thanks alot for reading and enjoy your day

there are a few south africans on here, such as sarasin, and they might be able to help you out with places to buy gear. Are you sure you want to go for a trad turntable/mixer setup? Just to warn you, cheap belt drive TTs are a bitch to learn to beatmatch on.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

it all depends on what your wanting to get into. Like fullenglishpint said are you sure about the turntables? You could score a decent controller/soundcard for the budget your working with. The controller approach would allow you to continue using virtualdj as well if thats what your comfortable with and want to continue to use.

Belt driven TT's are a NO NO......for DJing.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

it's ridiculous that pretty much every beginners' 'everything you need to DJ in a box' TT setup you can buy comes with belt driven TTs. Learning to beatmatch will take much longer and be much more frustrating.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Buying second hand is usually a good idea....starting off.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    it's ridiculous that pretty much every beginners' 'everything you need to DJ in a box' TT setup you can buy comes with belt driven TTs. Learning to beatmatch will take much longer and be much more frustrating.

pretty good practice for learning the fundamentals, not really worth the investment though. especially these days with software and controller options..

@OP, if you're just starting out don't waste your money on entry-level analog gear.

buy a copy of traktor pro, a modestly priced midi controller and an audio interface.
    this is a digital dj forum, you're probably going to find pretty biased opinions in favor of software&controller option - but with that said digital gear is not only more affordable to start with, but it's also top quality and power from the get go which isn't the case if you start off with entry level mixer and belt drive turntables.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Just to warn you, cheap belt drive TTs are a bitch to learn to beatmatch on.
    while this is true, id say if you can beat match on those, you can do it on anything! but yeah, even cheap direct drives ones would be better
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Might I suggest the VCI-300 route?
    You'll save some cash this way, not have to worry about setting up, and the full software is included. In this you get the traditional style of 2TT's and a mixer, and won't get side-tracked with caking FX on everything.

In the middle of no where. have a look http://maps.google.co.za/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Thanks guys for all the reply's. To be honest I dont know what to buy actually. I thought you just need a mixer and 2 turntables, headsets and a few vinyls so i got a good cheep set

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast