Looking to Up my setup

Default Looking to Up my setup

So basically, I'm a current bedroom dj who wants to get his hands on some more "playable" equipment, so to speak. I'm not trying to get a gig, I just want to have equipment that will give me more control over my music than I currently have (have a custom mapped numark omnicontrol, but that only goes so far.) I'm looking to save up cash to go out and buy some turntables for timecoded vinyl and possibly a 4 channel mixer if realistically possible. I'm thinking this with an audio interface should give me solid 4 deck controls that, combined with my omnicontrol (or perhaps a midifighter or 2 down the line) will allow me to beatjuggle, cue point juggle, play with fx, etc to my hearts content.

So DJtechtools, help a newb out. Obviously the most ideal set up would be for me to sell an arm and a leg to pay for a djm 1200 and 2 pioneers so I can throw down and have club quality equipment in my dorm. Obviously, that's not going to happen. What I'm looking for is some advice as to how I should budget myself for turntables/mixers as a bedroom/hobby dj who wants to actually step up his game. What models/companies/price ranges should I stick to so that I can make out with the most efficient investment without having to go out and work the corners?
    My equipment: Numark Omnicontrol Midi Controller, Traktor Pro (lol pro setup right?)

Rabid Season Mix

If you want turn tables and a mixer i'd say comb through Craigslist. It's your best bet. The few companies (retail stores) who still sell 1200s they sell them at $1,100 a pop. The setup you are looking for from what you have described to me is an extremely expensive setup. Unless you want to get some shitty tables like Geminis in which case you can find them for cheap from Craigslist or retail stores. However i'm looking to do the same, and I refuse to buy any other tables but 1200s.

I'd say buy it all of Craigslist but be careful when you buy the tables. Go online and Google 1200s and find out how to make sure they're working properly, and calibrated (this is an easy fix I hear).

And you asking us to help you budget is simply unrealistic, we do not know what your expenses are what your income is and all the little details in between. Not to mention i'd probably charge you to budget it anyway .

Thanks for the tips, I've been doing a bit of research since i posted the topic. And yeah, asking for help on my budget is a bit unrealistic lol that wasn't so much what I was trying to ask, just more what somebody would recommend for a dj who isn't playing weekly gigs for packed out clubs.

After researching the mixer thing a bit I actually found a good number of high quality 4 channel mixers that wouldn't be that expensive at all for what I was expecting (the Denon DN-X1100 looks pretty good and I saw it listed for $450 on musiciansfriend.) As for the tables that is of course going to be an issue, since I don't exactly know much about quality in turntables, so spotting out flaws would be tricky. I intend to save up cash and do this more in the long term anyway, so I'd prefer to either buy from a friend or buy new. I'd just really like to have a number goal to shoot for.

I'm also eying up the 1200s myself, although I've seen one or two stanton and numark products that look pretty good based on their reviews (consumer reviews, not company.) Of course that'd lead to me saving up about $2500, but such is djing I suppose. The price you gotta pay (literally) for production quality.
    My equipment: Numark Omnicontrol Midi Controller, Traktor Pro (lol pro setup right?)

Rabid Season Mix

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rabid View Post
    As for the tables that is of course going to be an issue, since I don't exactly know much about quality in turntables, so spotting out flaws would be tricky. I intend to save up cash and do this more in the long term anyway, so I'd prefer to either buy from a friend or buy new. I'd just really like to have a number goal to shoot for.
    I'm sure if you find a good deal on Craigslist before you go i'd just search for a thread on here about things to watch out for when buying 1200s or post a thread. I can't remember if i've seen one, although I think I may have.

People on here are extremely knowledgable and will be able to let you know and tell you for things to watch for.

I'm definitely buying mine off Craigslist lol.

Oh I've noticed, that's why I love the community. I know other djs but most of them either aren't that experienced or simply aren't serious about getting better skillwise, so this site has been a great help for me. And the other issue with craigslist is my lack of a car unless I can find somebody super local. :P

Also, interestingly enough I found a model by numark for about $200 that SUPPOSEDLY performs well if you're not looking to do hardcore scratching or mix for like 5 hours straight. Has anybody ever heard of the Numark TT200 by any chance?

Edit: Scratch that (no pun intended), the TT200 has issues with torque and inaccurate pitch control. But I've been seeing technic 1200s all over ebay for like anywhere between $200-$400, sometimes that price for a pair. I'm sure a few are messed up, but if that's the general price, maybe they've just become so common on the resale market that they're just generally affordable.
    Last edited by Jack Rabid; 04-09-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Rabid Season Mix