Paying for a Beginners mistake!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Paying for a Beginners mistake!

Soo I offically have became the bomb to my own beginning as a DJ!

I started djing about january, asking your advise only to rudly and stupidly go against it, something I do to often!
    Instead of saving up and buying something more expensive with Traktor software, I stupidly bought a £180 MK2 hercules-Virtual Dj set up with built in sound card, just to save cash.. Now im paying for it

Firstly the Virtual DJ a Limited Edition of the set up, meaning if I want to add essential and new effects, change any settings or even get any basic help on the software I would have to fork out £100 to upgrade it

Secondly, the hardware is good, but it seems to be lacking anything extra that would help like an effect control knob of any form for example, so Im not pissed about that but to give me more control over sampling and effects control im Opting for the Midi Fighter

And thridly, Im strapped for cash so a quick blast of monies to fix my problems seems out of the question! (Im an unemployed student, 16, Northern Ireland) My birthday is only a month away though so i could sap some cash there and i have a job in the summer coming up but then again i also have to have some cash to spend on my holiday and on my girlfriend for her birthday...Which is the day before mine :|

So heres my deal my friends....

Im looking for Traktor 2 or Traktor duo or Traktor Pro, plus a midi fighter within the next 3-4 months and dont know what i should get, Traktor 2 (Forking out a heafty sum) or Traktor duo (cheap but not shiny new, possible ending up with me wanting to buy Traktor 2 later on.) or Traktor Pro

Too Long ; Didnt Read: Traktor 2 now or Later?

Thank you so so so so much, your help is higly respected and apprecated!
    Last edited by LIVEMAU5; 04-11-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    Toshibha Satellite, 8GB RAM, Intel i3 processor, 2.40 GHz -Hercules Dj Control Steel -Traktor Pro 2 -Midi Fighter: Beatmasher
    -QTX sound Powered 150 WATT Speakers

Have you downloaded the Traktor demo and tried it out with the hardware you have? Make sure the software is really for you before you invest more money. You might even be able to find a cheap version of Traktor LE that can be used with the Hercules. You can always add a midifighter (or a much cheaper midi controller) for effects control down the road.

Also, what don't you like about VDJ? I use Traktor myself and I don't know VDJ at all, but is it possible that you could address your concerns by simply upgrading? Another cheaper solution to look into (if you own a mac) is djay by algoriddim -- though it might be far too simple for your tastes. Finally, look into Mixxx, which is a free/open source program that may or may not address your needs.

I'm a Traktor user and fan so in an ideal world that would be my suggestion, but if cost is a key factor and you're concerned about getting more mileage out of the money you've already spent, it might not be the best direction for you to go in at this point.

So I'm guessing that you started mixing 4 months ago and have now mastered transitions and creating mixes that flow well? Because if you haven't then buying traktor isn't going to help that much.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

get duo, upgrade the license later if you feel it lacking

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Says View Post
    So I'm guessing that you started mixing 4 months ago and have now mastered transitions and creating mixes that flow well? Because if you haven't then buying traktor isn't going to help that much.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

First, if you make the effort in TPro2 you can EASILY make something like the Hercules control almost everything. It just requires really creative Modifier useage.

Second, invest one bit at a time. If you think that VDJ is really lacking then just get Traktor. I think you're already falling into the very seductive claws of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). You have what you have. Figure out what you really need to take stuff to the next level and make that investment.

If you only use two decks, and have no interest in 4, look at Duo for now. It limits you in FX, but something tells me that after 4 months you're going to have your hands full with what it has to begin with.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Dont feel bad lol I started out with Deckadance with only a mouse to use. . . Then I switched to traktor
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

dont be so hard on yourself kid, your only 16.

i got a copy of trakor Le if you want to pm me for it.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Have you downloaded the Traktor demo and tried it out with the hardware you have? Make sure the software is really for you before you invest more money. You might even be able to find a cheap version of Traktor LE that can be used with the Hercules. You can always add a midifighter (or a much cheaper midi controller) for effects control down the road.
    Also, what don't you like about VDJ? I use Traktor myself and I don't know VDJ at all, but is it possible that you could address your concerns by simply upgrading? Another cheaper solution to look into (if you own a mac) is djay by algoriddim -- though it might be far too simple for your tastes. Finally, look into Mixxx, which is a free/open source program that may or may not address your needs.
    Ill download the Traktor demo soon, best to check but my cousin uses a MK4 with Traktor so it should work but ill try it out!
    I dont really like its overall awkwardness. It gives me nothing to work with expect a crossfader, my libary, a pitch changer, some weak effects and no help... It wont let me look at the settings or get new effects. You are probably thinking "Your a beginner, learn the basics and then look for more effects" But my point of view is whats the point of me learning all the details of VDJ set up now, then moving to Traktor. "But you'll learn the basics!" Yes, thats true but it would be like me getting a Mac and learning how to work it, then getting windows straight after (or vice versa). I know that Im going to move away with virtual DJ, even my friend who doesnt have hardware, only using the demo, and already he wants traktor from seeing its potential. Ive seen the potential and know that down the line I will want something that has a majority of users with postive reviews, easy compatble, works well with effects and customabilty, has that important bridge and has a cheap side too. To upgade my current LE VDJ to the full version is the same prise as having the full Traktor duo. Consider this too if you may.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Says View Post
    No,I just relise its better to plan ahead, maybe 6 months ahead, to the point where I want traktor and I have to start learning its desgin, features and extras when i could be 6 months ahead and already have all this learnt already before I even move on, so that its no biggy moving up a notch... Im a person who likes to make sure im not going to hit a brick wall and end up having to wait till he can move on, my patience with progress on a software/hardware level is limited.... Not with my Music though thank god...

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    First, if you make the effort in TPro2 you can EASILY make something like the Hercules control almost everything. It just requires really creative Modifier useage.

Second, invest one bit at a time. If you think that VDJ is really lacking then just get Traktor. I think you're already falling into the very seductive claws of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). You have what you have. Figure out what you really need to take stuff to the next level and make that investment.

If you only use two decks, and have no interest in 4, look at Duo for now. It limits you in FX, but something tells me that after 4 months you're going to have your hands full with what it has to begin with.
    Your wise, I do have a certian addiction to conpulsive buying...embarrsingly ever since ive started djing ive already picked out and bought a few things to wear when im djing, even considered the midi and its future mods when i started embarrsingly seduced by technology
    Ill take your advise stongly, I have a while to think about this and simply created this post to give me more time to think....

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far I like all critisim!!
    Toshibha Satellite, 8GB RAM, Intel i3 processor, 2.40 GHz -Hercules Dj Control Steel -Traktor Pro 2 -Midi Fighter: Beatmasher
    -QTX sound Powered 150 WATT Speakers

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LIVEMAU5 View Post
    Your wise
    Even if you are some random person on the internet, it's always nice to have the truth recognized

I do have a certian addiction to conpulsive buying...embarrsingly ever since ive started djing ive already picked out and bought a few things to wear when im djing, even considered the midi and its future mods when i started embarrsingly seduced by technology
    Ill take your advise stongly, I have a while to think about this and simply created this post to give me more time to think....
    Trust me, you want to break this habit fast. Or you're gonna end up with a closet full of gear you don't know how to use.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast