Midi mapping advice for 'combo' effects.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Midi mapping advice for 'combo' effects.

Alright, so I'm trying to map a few combos similar to the midi-fighter ones using my Akai LPD8, but I've run into a hitch with modifiers. I know run of the mill programming logic, so I thought I could stumble through the logic of the program, but I've hit a wall.

Here's the main method I've tried. I apologize for what might be abysmal mapping, but I am new to this interface.

1st button -> HOLD: trigger effect 1, set modifier M1=1.
    2nd button -> HOLD: trigger effect 2, set modifier M2=1 if M1=1
    3rd button -> HOLD: trigger effect 3, set modifier M3=1 if M1=1 & M2=1
    4th button -> HOLD: Trigger effect 4, trigger combo effect if M3=1

The problem with this method is, if I let go of any buttons earlier in the sequence, modifiers won't reset. For instance, M2 will not reset when it's released unless 1 is still held down, and retains the value of 2. This ultimately is causing my 4th button to trigger the combo everytime it is pressed if I happen to let up on button 1 or 2 before I let up on button 3, as the parameter stays at M3=1.

So basically, what I need is a means of automatically resetting the parameters after the combo effect is triggered, or when the last button is released.

If this is a terrible way of mapping this idea, I'm also open to alternatives. I've tried loading the mappings for the midi-fighter and reverse engineering it, but can't make heads or tails out of it..
    Last edited by Poizen Jam; 04-12-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Could you set a thing to set, say, M2 to 0 but put it on invert so it does it when the button is released? I can't remember if that would work or not...

I thought of that, but there doesn't seem to be an invert function to use alongside the 'Hold' interaction mode.

I don't think it needs to be set to hold, invert works by monitoring the MIDI 'off' signal, so just set it to direct and it'll trigger the command whenever you let go of the button.

Also no invert option for direct input either unfortunately. I can however use 'decrements' on invert, so I'll see if there's some way I can work that.

Edit: No such luck. Increments/decrements isn't working as intended.
    Last edited by Poizen Jam; 04-12-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poizen Jam View Post
    Also no invert option for direct input either unfortunately. I can however use 'decrements' on invert, so I'll see if there's some way I can work that.
    Oh, yeah, it was reset I was thinking of. That might work, having Reset on Invert. Not sure.

Reset doesn't seem to do anything whatsoever, inverted or otherwise.

Appreciate the help just the same!

Certainly! I was looking for something just like this.

Edit: Yeah, he's suggesting using 'direct value' while 'inverted'. I don't have an invert toggle available with the button on direct interaction. I'll grab a screenshot of my setup.

Edit 2: Here's the setup, and where I WOULD insert 'Button - > Direct interaction - > 0 - > invert'. With the modifier 'M5=1' of course.
    Last edited by Poizen Jam; 04-12-2011 at 09:25 PM.

I dunno, I'm stuck for ideas now...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast