Which type of gamepads have the most outputs?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Which type of gamepads have the most outputs?

Hey DJTT

Im looking to do a custom midi fighter like controller. So i want at least 16 digital outputs and 4 analog. Does anyone know of any gamepads that can give that? links would be great.

Thanks
    -Ben
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

I've used two Playstation2 controllers with this USB adaptor. From one usb yo get 20 odd buttons and 8 analogues.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-x-PS-2-C...item19c4aa2272

xbox 1 pads are also a good choice... you get 6 analogues per pad plus a built in usb hub so you can daisy chain them together.

Tech Mentor

but for the xbox pads dont u have to change the cord to usb?
    Equipment------

Tech Convert

Default Noob question on PS2 PCBs

Quote Originally Posted by Archies'bald View Post
    I've used two Playstation2 controllers with this USB adaptor. From one usb yo get 20 odd buttons and 8 analogues.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-x-PS-2-C...item19c4aa2272
    On this subject, I have a very Noobish question.
    When you rip open the gamepad- is it easy to follow where the connections onto the PCBs for the Analog pots/faders and Buttons should connect to?

yes and no... the cable is already usb; it's just the connector that's different.

all you need to do is chop the connector off and replace it with a standard male usb connector. I did it without even any soldering... just wrapped the 4 or so wires round each other then used electrical tape to keep it together.

if you're using more than one xbox pad you can solder the additional pads directly to the first xbox pads' internal usb hub which would be quite a neat solution.

Tech Mentor

ah ok makes sense. are there any other gamepads that could work?
    Equipment------

Quote Originally Posted by noisyshaun View Post
    On this subject, I have a very Noobish question.
    When you rip open the gamepad- is it easy to follow where the connections onto the PCBs for the Analog pots/faders and Buttons should connect to?
    Most are relatively easy to follow if you know the difference between analogue (pots, faders) and digital (buttons, switches).

The thing to look out for is the pcb inside the controller. Most of the older controllers have solid pcb's inside them, but some of the newer ones have flexible pcb's which are useless for soldering on to. The only way of finding this out is to either open the unit up or get one on a recommendation of one from someone else.

I've never used the XBox ones, but a lot of people have had a lot of success with them.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Archies'bald View Post
    Most are relatively easy to follow if you know the difference between analogue (pots, faders) and digital (buttons, switches).

The thing to look out for is the pcb inside the controller. Most of the older controllers have solid pcb's inside them, but some of the newer ones have flexible pcb's which are useless for soldering on to. The only way of finding this out is to either open the unit up or get one on a recommendation of one from someone else.
    Awesome! So in theory, could you connect -for example, three or four PS2 gamepad PCBs via a USB hub to have even more inputs?

Quote Originally Posted by noisyshaun View Post
    Awesome! So in theory, could you connect -for example, three or four PS2 gamepad PCBs via a USB hub to have even more inputs?
    That's the theory. The software conversion program is the key to doing that. Some programs allow several joysticks (Glovepie, Fergos etc.) but some only allow one (Rejoice).

I'm building something at the moment that will be using two PS2 joypads and several other components. Keep an eye out for other threads too. Everything I know about this stuff, I've picked up from the good people of this forum.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast