Crushed dream (Korg Zero8)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crushed dream (Korg Zero8)

As said in another thread, I have been eyeballing the Korg Zero8 for a while now, and everything seemed perfect until I had a real close look at how it is.

Now, to understand why it crushed my dream, let me explain what I want to do with it.

I want to mix both ableton and traktor on the same mixer (8 channels needed), I will be using 2 laptops for this. One will have a soundcards (For Traktor) and the other will use the soundcard in the Zero8, things then get synced via midi. OR when I play both live and dj, I dont have to make any changes directly in outputs etc etc.

Now, I though that this piece of hardware would make me able to use the buttons etc per channel as midi controls as well, but thats where my dream got crushed with having LESS equipment with me. If you are using an external soundcard (Not the internal one) "Line in" you can NOT use the channels knobs etc etc as midi controllers! ARRRRRRRRGH!

I am still going to buy one I think, cause I figured out that I could use the Korg Nano Control for Traktor Pro.

Now my question, would you think I could use 2 times Nano's together with the Mixer? I mean, the Firewire connector will be connected to the OTHER laptop (The Ableton Laptop). That should be possible, right? Since the nano's are so small, I meassured that I will actually not have problems stashing it in my bags which I had thought about bringing along.

Comments, suggestion etc etc are REALLY welcome, as I am thinking of getting the beast within the next few months

Aren't the Nanos on USB?

Don't see problems there. Unless you have no more USB ports left.
    Also, are you sure about using two, not using a single controller, that is the equivalent of 2 Nanos?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

yeah thats the thing. I mean, I want every single effect setup on the controller, and the nano just is not enough for 4 decks. If I was spinning 2 decks, it would be no problem But yeah, I will have:

MBP1: Audio 8 DJ on USBP1 and 2x Nano controllers on USBP2 with a USBHub (and a mouse), FW800 will be my music library.
    MBP2: Korg Zero8, USBP1 Sample archive, USBP2 (mouse)

Thats as far as I have thought it up in my head

You think I will have problems with latency and read errors?

And you were considering a BCR once?

Latency and read errors? Really can't tell. Though I don't think it should be that far apart from routing sound on 1 laptop nowadays.

I mean, guys like Richie Hawtin, Speedy J, Chris Liebing wouldn't be using two MBPs if it was bad.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

I have no problems with my MBP. I just need people that have had similar setups to tell me everything is going to be fine

And no, the BCR is nice and all, but its way to bulky for me to bring if I have the Korg. Otherwise, yeah maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    I have no problems with my MBP. I just need people that have had similar setups to tell me everything is going to be fine
    Same here man, same here!

And no, the BCR is nice and all, but its way to bulky for me to bring if I have the Korg. Otherwise, yeah maybe.
    That's something I can imagine.

Uhm... So you'd want something small with loadsa buttons.
    Do you by chance have an iPhone, or a mobile phone with Windows Mobile?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post

Now, I though that this piece of hardware would make me able to use the buttons etc per channel as midi controls as well, but thats where my dream got crushed with having LESS equipment with me. If you are using an external soundcard (Not the internal one) "Line in" you can NOT use the channels knobs etc etc as midi controllers! ARRRRRRRRGH!
    Are you sure that this is true? And can I read this from a source somewhere?

I wanted to get this for TPro and use the Audio8 for the scratch and the Zero 8 for Midi control. I don't think that the Korg sound card is better than the Audio 8 Now I am not sure what I am going to do.

Hey Ilavoe,
    if I am correct, nemo has a friend who also has a Korg Zero8.
    (And nemo is known to have his knowledge straight before starting a rant on several occasions).

Nowadays I would just recommend the Akai APC 40 and an Audio8 or Audio4.

I am with Tekki on this one - I cant vouch for Nemo being correct in this instance but i can vouch for him being a reliable source of information, so this is probably true

Tech Convert

the zero 4 has been known to have problems with traktor. But I am pretty sure from people I know that you can use the midi function without the internal sound card. I believe Sasha was one of those people. Once I have proof, I will repost. Thanks guys Nice forum here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast