what do i need to complete this virtual vinyl setup?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default what do i need to complete this virtual vinyl setup?

found this ad on craigslist today.. http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ele/2322208441.html

i plan on buying it caus ei wanna get into djing but am tight on money and need to learn how to mix..now what else do i need.. sound card, timecoded vinyls and a program? is that it? and if so will any soundcards do?

i am aware this forum doesnt really focus on this type of djing but even though i wanna get my own controller this seems like a good deal to practice with

Ouch! belt driven TT's? good luck mate.
    thats all ill say
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Wizard

not worth it to even learn how to mix??

Nope.

Belt drive TTs are a joke. They'll make it harder to learn everything…your progress will be slower and depending on how bad the habits you develop are, it'll take a while to learn once you upgrade.

I know turntable prices are ridiculous for no reason right now, but any direct drive TT is a better choice for DJing.

Also, that mixer is a POS, and the DVS package is missing the expensive parts.

You're kinda looking at about $400 minimum for software and an audio interface, plus about $200 for a mixer that won't shit itself inside a few months, plus $60ish for headphones, plus $300-400 for a bottom-end pair of turntables that are direct drive and won't shit themselves in a matter of months (or possibly a pair of used 1200s if you get lucky and find someone selling them for the right price instead of the current inflated BS price).

Buying that package replaces $600 worth of stuff that doesn't suck with $120 worth of stuff that does. You'll still spend the same $600 later, but you'll have thrown away $120 and gotten frustrated first if you do it your way.

It's a much greater cost to do it right, and you're free to spend your money however you see fit…but if you skimp that much at the beginning, you'll either end up quitting or admitting we're right in a few months.
    Last edited by mostapha; 04-13-2011 at 05:23 PM.

save your money.
    Technics 1200 MK2s - Vestax PMC06 - NI Kontrol S2 - Traktor - Akai APC40 - Ableton Live 8

Tech Wizard

how about just buying a cheap controller, or just save a few months for the s4 like i planned

Quote Originally Posted by dj pFunk View Post
    how about just buying a cheap controller, or just save a few months for the s4 like i planned
    Yeah…those are both better ideas. By far.

There's no reason to spend more on a DVS setup than you would on the S4 if you want to get an S4 anyway.

I'd suggest just finding a keyboard mapping for Traktor Pro that worked well enough with 2 decks (i'm sure there are some around) so you can learn the basics…then when you can afford the S4, don't look back.

There's something awesome about the physicality of DJing with vinyl…but for me, most of it was flipping through a crate and looking at album art (which is always easier for me to remember than artist/track names), but DVS loses most of it…if you're not doing turntablism tricks…I fail to see the point of a DVS.

Tech Wizard

thanks for the input man, ya i was actually makin a keyboard mapping this weekend already haha

Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Wizard

would that be worth the $300 and the investment in DVS? the reviews arent so hot for those turntables and its already at $300? idk..tough cause i need the dvs setup which is a lot too..almost as much as an s4 already

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast