I am loving MIDI Translation
    Tech Mentor

Default I am loving MIDI Translation

Holy crap. You guys need to get in on this if you haven't already.

For those that don't know, MIDI Translation is where you run a program that intercepts all the MIDI messages coming out of your MIDI controllers, and 'translates' them into whatever you want your DJ software to receive. To start, you could make Traktor think you're pressing keys on your keyboard when you twist a knob, or even that you've moved your mouse to a certain position on screen or you've twisted another virtual knob. The possibilities really are endless and it's up to you to get creative and find new uses for your MIDI controller.

So far, I created a rather basic translation which took an idea from Ean's VCI 1.3, with smart knobs. In this case, I first re-assigned (in Traktor) my volume faders on my VCI to control the FX AMOUNT knob. The problem is, there's a separate button to turn ON the effect.

After some tinkering, I got the result I wanted: if I move the fader a little bit, the effect will turn ON, and if I keep moving the fader up, the AMOUNT goes up. I did this by assigning a hotkey for the FX ON function, and through MIDI translation, Traktor thinks I'm holding that hotkey when my fader is past a certain point, effectively turning on the FX. At the same time, the fader is still acting as my regular FX AMOUNT, so as I move it up the FX AMOUNT increases too. In short, the fader outputs the following:

FX OFF.../ FX ON -> AMOUNT INCREASES as you move it up. Pretty cool isn't it?

Today, I spent some time on layouts (I'm still on Traktor 3.3). I started with my FX layout. Basically, when I flip through the layout pages in Traktor, I press Shift + 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending on which page I want to be on. All my FX are on page 4. So what I did today was assign any button that has anything to do with FX to also output a keystroke of Shift + 4. Now whenever I use my FX, the page in my layout changes automatically. The next step will be to identify which controls I want to go back to the default page and so forth. Logical examples would be to have any looping functions go to the page with your loop controls, and any cue point juggling go to the page with your cue list, and so forth. Perhaps my LOAD TRACK button will go back to page 1 (my 'default' page).

I love this stuff, and it's so easy after you mess with it for about an hour.
    Last edited by miyuru; 01-18-2009 at 04:40 PM.

What program are you using?
    also
    It sounds like most of the things you are doing can already be mapped in Traktor. You can set macro events that control more than one function at a time. Huge time-saver.
    AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile 2.0GHz, 4GB Ram, BCD-3000, WinXP(Pro)-SP2, Traktor Pro

Tech Mentor

I'm using Bomes Midi Translator.

You're totally right about the macros, that's one thing I never looked into! D'oh.

I think I learned about those from the Richie Hawtin video.

EDIT: Can you combine a hotkey + MIDI note natively in Traktor?

Bomes Midi Translator is epic, enuf said

Also you cant set "macro events" with the ammount of control you have in Bomes.

Say you want the ammount to be turned up in the first half of the knob turn - thats just not possible, however it is very possible with Bomes.

Agreed. I love Bome's.

I use it on a effects knob. In bome's I split the knob, so when I am turning it lower than half way, it sends out an extra MIDI signal. Then in Traktor I map the knobs and macro the Filter On buttons as well. The effect is when I use the filter knob the filter effect comes on. In addition when I am using the lower half of the knob, it also enables the delay effect.

You can't do that in Traktor. I just wish Bome's was a lil more user friendly. Sometimes I have to resort to brute trial and error to get something just right.

O-BentoSan, do you know if Bome's can work with joysticks?

Tech Mentor

How do you use 2 effects at once in Traktor? Or is this not possible in 3.3?

Quote Originally Posted by cheft View Post
    O-BentoSan, do you know if Bome's can work with joysticks?
    It accepts hid keyboard messages, not to sure about joystick messages though - i dont have a joystick so i never tested it out.

I know GlovePie does joystick message, but GlovePie in my expereience also does like to crash alot :\ so i try not to use it. GlovePie's programmer abbanonded his project at v 0.3 so the program isnt stable and shows absolutely no signs of ever revieving some much needed updates. Its a shame because i like the way it goes about things.

Next i am planning to learn MAX/MSP - that orta be interesting territory.

Yes, I have had that GlovePie problem as well, but found version 0.29 stable.
    MAX/MSP good luck, it looks awesome, but wayyyyy out of my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by cheft View Post
    Yes, I have had that GlovePie problem as well, but found version 0.29 stable.
    MAX/MSP good luck, it looks awesome, but wayyyyy out of my price range.
    Its going to be in the next version of Ableton, so i plan on picking it up then.