Traktor Pro 2 latency settings

Default Traktor Pro 2 latency settings

After installing Traktor Pro 2 with the current Audio 8 DJ driver, I noticed quite a lot of little clicks / glitches. Same thing even when I switched back to Traktor Pro and both were on Eco mode since my 2 year old notebooks don't take the HIQ mode too well although they both ran Traktor Pro perfectly.

I then uninstalled the current driver and went back to the old one with the same settings as before. Weird. Same thing. Clicks here and there so it's definitely something to do with the drivers' (both old and new) settings since I can hear clicks even when using Windows Media Player with audio out through the Audio 8 DJ.

Has the Traktor Pro 2 installation corrupted something along the line because even when I use Traktor Pro with the older Audio 8 DJ driver, I still get the clicks in quite a few combinations. Only disappear when I go up to 10 + ms latency.

In the old Traktor Pro, it said 5.5ms but in the new one, I'm shown to be at 11.3ms with Processing taking 6ms and Output 5.3ms. Am I wrong to say that the older Traktor Pro was showing only the Output latency instead of including the processing delay as well which means that the 5.5ms reported in the old Traktor Pro is the same as 11.3 total latency reported in Traktor Pro 2?

ps. Sorry for being long winded.
    Know thy music ...

By the way, the USB driver I'm using is the older 2.0.15.7 one.
    Know thy music ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Progen View Post
    In the old Traktor Pro, it said 5.5ms but in the new one, I'm shown to be at 11.3ms with Processing taking 6ms and Output 5.3ms. Am I wrong to say that the older Traktor Pro was showing only the Output latency instead of including the processing delay as well which means that the 5.5ms reported in the old Traktor Pro is the same as 11.3 total latency reported in Traktor Pro 2?
    That's correct. I've recently found that I need my latency higher than it was in TP1.

If raising the latency removes the clicks, that's the problem. I doubt it's the driver, since you have the same issue with the old one.

Just raise it a bit until you don't hear it any more, and don't worry about latency unless you actually notice it when playing. Also, make sure your sample rate isn't too high. 44,100 is fine and anything higher will unnecessarily push latency up.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

More often than not you can have latency around 11 to 13 ms and barely notice a response difference, yet it can drastically lighten the load for processors.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by The Progen View Post
    I think it's something very close to this. I just did a quick check sliding from lowest to highest latency in TSP and TSP2 on the same soundcard (with the same sample rate) and the TSP latency in ms matched very closely with the "Processing" part of the TSP2 latency (the "Output" number never changed for me).

Well, I guess when I go resident, I'll probably set up a desktop at the console. Miss having a larger screen and sub 1s loading times (includes complete waveform displays). The reason I got a little frustrated about all these latency issues was because I first installed Traktor Pro 2 on my desktop. A cheap self assembled desktop with only 2GB of RAM and using a 2 year old CPU. Audio card was also a cheapo ESi Maya44 PCI. Got 2.9ms and that's overall time. Output was 0.0ms. The 2.9ms was the processing.

Was only after I'd installed it in my two work notebooks that I noticed this problem and what was strange was my weaker notebook could actually go 8.8ms total latency whilst my main one which although had the same CPU and RAM but had always sort of felt more stable and faster, needed to go 11 odd ms.
    Know thy music ...