S4 Durability - Page 2

View Poll Results: How durable/reliable is your Traktor Kontrol S4?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Bad

6 3.61%
  • Bad

10 6.02%
  • Average

47 28.31%
  • Better Than Average

62 37.35%
  • Excellent!!

41 24.70%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S4 Durability

Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    The headphone jack has crappy connections. The plug needs to be in a sweet spot to play cleanly in stereo. It's a big sweet spot though.

I also find the browse and deck buttons to be touchy. Sometimes it's like they don't fully click on if you press and release too fast causing for example deck "a" to switch to "c" then back to "a" immediately. Also not a big deal but used to screw me up a little more.

Other than that I haven't had much issue with my s4. So far no problems with FX buttons or faders on mine.
    I had the same issue with the sweet spot issue with the headphone. I found that the issue that I was running into stem from the fact that the litte nut On the headphone jack was tighten down two much. Ty loosening the nut. I bet you that will solve your problem.

Ive got one unusable channel (A) which makes it almost useless to use unless I pull 4 deck mode up on the screen and forego the large track list for the small one. Having to use 4 deck mode with a tiny track list is frustrating but I can work around it. I've got about 6 buttons that stick down and dont click like the others, sometimes they stay down when I press them, causing unwanted software reactions.

I wasnt happy that the fader died after 3 weeks of use (probably used a total of 5 times for half an hour each before it broke).

I dont like the hastle of sending hardware back if I can work around it, I just wont buy another hardware product made by Native Instruments ever again.

0/10 - Support (Non existant, NI have completely ignored both cases I opened months ago, not one single email reply, not even in my spam folder)
    0/10 - Hardware Quality (This ones a no-brainer)
    6/10 - price (8/10 if it wasnt shit quality)
    8/10 - Software (when I dont have to disable the network driver to get it stable I'll give it 10/10)

My review total: 33%

Before flaming me for flaming NI and the S4, just keep in mind that first impressions mean NOTHING and that noone in the world can truly comment on the S4's quality. The thing hasn't been out for long enough to stand the test of time.
    Last edited by alex8337; 04-15-2011 at 08:06 AM.
    ThinkPad 2.53ghz Core2 | Windows7 32bit | Kontrol S4 | Hercules 4-Mx | Midi Fighter | KRK 8" Rockit's

Tech Wizard

MC6000 owner here. I've played with the S4 only for a few minutes but the MC6000 is built like a tank in comparison.

I love it but yes the knobs and controls are a little close together.

CRAP! I'm really liking the S4!! But this is all bringing back memories of when I was looking into the Korg!!

Maybe I should hang on to my EVO5 and Denon for a while and wait till the next NI controller comes out?

My Denon HS5500 is plastic and metal but I'm very happy with it. Very solid. I've owned other Denon's so I might just keep with what I know is good, for me Denon is the best in the market even though Pioneer is what most top Dj's use.
    Last edited by groovemixer; 04-15-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    ::: mixing music that feeds the soul ::: iTunes | House-mixes.com | Mixcloud
    "If the music you're listening to doesn't give you goosebumps, you're listening to the wrong genre."

Tech Guru

dude, the S4 is really great - if you like the layout and features and the capabilities, go for it. You won't regret it for sure. i'm like 95% sure that it'll make you happy for quite some time.

The denon has great built quality (it feels so, so nice), but I just don't like the layout. I knew that it's not my controller right from the start. I don't care what a great build it has. My S4 feels great too and I don't actually have any issues with my unit. Just think that you'll probably get a unit from the 5th month of manufacturing, which will presumably have most of the early production defects solved.

If you still hesitate, take a look at NS6. It's the only one, which probably has higher potential than the S4.
    Last edited by loop; 04-15-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Humm I've had very bad experiences with Numark, don't think I can ever go back.
    ::: mixing music that feeds the soul ::: iTunes | House-mixes.com | Mixcloud
    "If the music you're listening to doesn't give you goosebumps, you're listening to the wrong genre."

Tech Guru

i've never heard a bad thing about the NS7, hardware wise ...

Here's me endorsing the S4.

Build quality is cool, than again I have been carrying the BCR2000 & MIDIfighter with me to gigs for a long time.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Guru

Do you use the BCR for the sample decks & FX3&4? ... it is probably one of the greatest complementing controllers for KS4/TP2.

I used the BCR+MIDIfighter as a complete solution before the S4 arrived.

Now I have more or less ditched the BCR, and gone with the S4 and MIDIfighter.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast