Spinning House..:/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinning House..:/

I've been djing professionally for about 5 years now, mostly hip-hop, top40, and dubstep. Next week I'll be spinning house for the first time.

It's gonna be a easy gig, after party for a small fashion show.

No problem. I've done my research, got my tracks, and actually got down to practicing last night...

Mixing house is easy.

I guess what I'm asking for is some more intermediate/advanced mixing techniques to make spinning house more fun for me.

Btw, I'm using VDJ for this gig, so I don't have as many effects as you Traktor guys.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Using the built in effects in Traktor? Incorporating an extra deck into your mix?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

How do you keep top40 and dubstep interesting?

Depending on the brand of house, it's not that different.

The effects I have at my disposal at this point are echo, a flanger, a beatslicer of sorts, and my filter. I can download more, though. What else should I have?

I've been using my 3rd and 4th decks for samples.

I can't use traktor for this gig because I'm using video for part of the show.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

you should download the "beatgrid" i think thats whats its called, been awhile since i used VDJ but i miss that effect thats for sure.
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

)))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

@ Irishblaggard I've got that one, I like it! It's very hard not to use it too much.

@Mostapha I use a lot of the tricks I use for hip-hop with the other genres, mostly resulting in quick mixes, though. Having so much time to blend the tracks is throwing me off.

This party calls for 'commercial' house and electro. Guetta, Deadmau5, Swedish House Mafia... crap.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Beatslicing, Beatmixing (fader work mostly), plenty of song overlap, and whatever fx are available to you. Spinning house is actually a lot of fun, you just have to make it fun. It sounds fine if you just eq the whole time, but it sounds even better if you know how to really juggle your stuff.
    My equipment: Numark Omnicontrol Midi Controller, Traktor Pro (lol pro setup right?)

Rabid Season Mix

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Use one deck for samples and three decks for tracks. If you have to manage two sets of loops, a full track and samples you can keep yourself busy.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

with house have fun with looping using the filter for quick drops and also useing a beatmasher style effect to make cool cut transitions ... have fun if it sounds decent it probably is.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

If im not mistaken VDJ has VST plugins? possiblities are endless.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast