Suggestions for further improving the firmware
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Suggestions for further improving the firmware

Hello!

I hope this thread fits in nicely here - I haven't found any where you could post some suggestions for future FW updates, so I thought it would make sense to start one.

First of all, I really appreciate the work that went into these mods, and I hope I can contribute a little bit to make these even better!

So, here are my suggestions (maybe even for Version 1.4?):

1) Missing MIDI outs

Some buttons can not be programmed to switch their LEDs on, even if in theory they should have this capability. So far, I have found the "preview", "set cue" and "cue play" buttons, as well as the jogwheel lights, but I am pretty sure there are more of them lingering around.

2) ability to switch LEDs OFF (and enable BOTH of the Dual LEDs)

It would be very nice if we could switch the dual LEDs (with 2 colors) OFF completely. So far I think this is not possible, since all LEDs only seem to know 2 states.

Edit: add the abilty to also switch BOTH LEDs ON at the same time

3) Fix the "flickering LED Bug"

I have tried to use a blinking LED to add another visual state to a LED and so far succeded, but there is an annoying bug where all LEDs flicker when you send out a MIDI message to a LED. This is a general problem, but especially annoying with blinking LEDs because then your whole VCI is constantly flickering like a X-mas decoration :eek:

4) dimmable LEDs

Not sure is the hardware even allows this, but it would also be nice to able to dim certain LEDs. Would be better in a low light situation, where you don't switch off the LEDs completely, but dim them down so you can still see some light.

These general improvments to LEDs would make it possible to use more sophisticated visual feedback on the VCI-100 LEDs

And here is another one:

5) Kill switches on all EQ knobs

Again, don't know if the hardware allows this, but special kill switch MIDI Notes on _all_ EQ knobs instead of just one would be nice.

Would be happy to see some of these suggestions be incorporated in future releases. Discuss and add more to the list if you like and keep up the good work!

regards,
    Frank
    Last edited by frankiee; 01-19-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Good idea here is my list of requests -

14bit midi support

Absolute Messages from the jog wheels + relative messages from the jog wheels

Effect switch buttons do not engage internal presets on the device but instead send midi messages.

LED light control of the 3 lights next so the effects selection buttons.

I also agree with all of the feature requests above besides number 5 which can be done inside of traktor anyway - but maybe that functionality would be useful for other programs also which dont have such a good midi implementation.

Tech Wizard

how about a vci-100 Firmware/midi editor were you can edit all the functions and assign your own. almost all usb midi interfaces have this and its ashame that Vestax doesnt produce one for the VCI, i would pay for one
    -dIm-
    - Acer5050 Amd Turion 2Ghz 2GB RAM - Echo Indigo Dj - Audio DJ 8 - VESTAX VCI-100 SE - Ecler Nuo 4 - X-Session - Trigger Finger - Korgkaoss Pad Entrancer - Korg MicroKontrol - Novation25SL - 2 x Tec1210.
    Dj software - TraktorDj 3.3 - Traktor Scratch 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by -dIm- View Post
    how about a vci-100 Firmware/midi editor were you can edit all the functions and assign your own. almost all usb midi interfaces have this and its ashame that Vestax doesnt produce one for the VCI, i would pay for one
    Bomes Midi products basicly do just this.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    I also agree with all of the feature requests above besides number 5 which can be done inside of traktor anyway - but maybe that functionality would be useful for other programs also which dont have such a good midi implementation.
    can you explain how to do that without a special MIDI Node sent by the knob?

I have fiddled around a lot with the setting and the only thing I achieved only using a knob was quite the opposite I wanted: now, turning the knob to the far left turned the kill _off_ while all other positions turn the kill _on_. Just inverting the assignment did nothing, maybe there is even a bug with traktor.

Nevertheless, would be much easier to implement anyway if there was a special note sent like with the "mid low" button when you turn the knob to the far left.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Bomes Midi products basicly do just this.
    i mean from the unit not as a midi translator. eg: change note and CC values
    of the vci knobs and buttons as you like and then upload them to the unit. now you have fixed values and you have to go with whats given to you why should i wait for a firmware update to have extra options or even if i want to change a simple buttons control message to another.
    on trigger finger,novetion sl 25 even my first controller evolution x-sessions had an editor to change and edit its conficuration of each button and knob and then dumb it to the unit.
    my opinion is that vestax should make this available for its usb controllers, its a step forward making its products more versatile.
    Last edited by -dIm-; 01-20-2009 at 10:27 AM.
    -dIm-
    - Acer5050 Amd Turion 2Ghz 2GB RAM - Echo Indigo Dj - Audio DJ 8 - VESTAX VCI-100 SE - Ecler Nuo 4 - X-Session - Trigger Finger - Korgkaoss Pad Entrancer - Korg MicroKontrol - Novation25SL - 2 x Tec1210.
    Dj software - TraktorDj 3.3 - Traktor Scratch 1.2

Tech Wizard

-14 bit midi (high res)
    -4th button on right under each wheel (now the PLAY button) should light up when pressed,
    - 1.2 firmware software as a SEPARATE download if you ever just have the need to "keep it real (original)"

Tech Wizard

there is a command which activates whenever the platters move, effects bank selection button is touched, and when most other transport buttons are pressed. the official TSI/TKS files use it for focus selection.

I would like the effects selection button working, but the platters get bumped too often and make using the function for deck focus unreliable. the rest are just excessive.

this would make it possible to use the one button for reliable deck focus selection and notification by LEDs, instead of the three buttons I have assigned now!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by frankiee View Post
    can you explain how to do that without a special MIDI Node sent by the knob?
    Yes... Bento: Could you explain it please?
    I need that too...
    Last edited by fcarsana; 01-21-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Sorry i stand corrected you cant do that i just tried and the midi mappings i thought were there are not - you could do it running a copy of bomes midi though, but that isnt the point of this thread.

Forcing the tsi file into knob mode and using invert might yield the results you guys are after - it was a pretty common occurance to have to do these sorts of tricks in the previous version of Traktor.

Anyway as another feature request i would like the vinyl button not to do an internal "modifier" on the jog wheels - this is very do able inside of traktor and would allow us to map that function somewhere else.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 01-21-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast