Your Favourite Place to Discover music
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Your Favourite Place to Discover music

I have been finding most of my music off of torrents, just as a place to start before buying off of itunes and such. Also I used 22tracks for leads and beatport. But I feel that my music is quickly becoming out of date because by the time I sort through all of it and pick the track I like, theres thousands more out there. What websites do people use to find great up-to-date music?

that's kind of illegal man. We dont roll like that plus there are loads of threads about that same subject. Just use the search button. Great things await! Mods please...
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Convert

As I said, I use torrents to generate leads. NOT to steal music. I buy any music I intend to use in a set. 22tracks.com is not illegal, nor is beatport by any means. Everybody has charts, sites and sources that they regularly check for music, that's what I'm inquiring about.

I'll be honest with you, I USED to do the same thing. But then I found better ways of finding music.

I generally have (or had) a lot of blogs that I used to check on a weekly basis. I'd follow different record labels on their websites/facebook/myspace and check them out fairly often. Just dicking around clicking links in youtube has found me some good stuff. Spending time digging around soundcloud has also been golden for me. Facebook groups and friends/other DJs who post music often, and listening there (though it does get spammy at times). Digging around on beatport looking up certain words, artists, similar artists, checking the charts....

The list goes on.

Finding torrents and downloading a shitload of stuff is easy to do. Chances are most nubs getting into music are doing the same thing, so you won't have anything particularly worthwhile. It will be a lot of leads on stuff that everyone knows about. Doing the read digging is where it's rewarding.

I'm not saying drive 100 miles to the closest record store and live in there. But doing your OWN homework is satisfying, and really builds your collection to be personally attuned to what you love.

It's hard to put into words really, but doing the dirty work is half the fun for me.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by tpain View Post
    As I said, I use torrents to generate leads. NOT to steal music.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpain View Post
    I have been finding most of my music off of torrents, just as a place to start before buying off of itunes and such.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Mentor

lessthan3.org or any music blogs.
    Following record labels Dim Mak, spinnin recs, etc.
    soundcloud
    Those are the main places where I find new music.

Meh.... I understand top40's is a completely different beast than what I deal with, and you really didn't say what you are playing.

But, the "newness" of a track has absolutely ZERO effect on how good it is really going to be, for your dancefloor, at that moment you select it.

I can GUARANTEE there is a massive amount of tracks, released before you ever started DJing, that would drive your crowd nuts, you just have to find them.

And that is YOUR job, as the DJ.

In addition to what you were talking about, I really like to use Pandora radio as a source for producers/artists I have not heard of yet, that release music interesting to my taste.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Tech Guru

following labels&artists on fb is pretty good.

browsing new releases on mp3 stores.

mailing lists.

hear new genre name
    google
    go to youtube
    search names google gave me
    keep info to myself till i have an understanding of the music
    spend hours going to the 'related videos'
    read comments
    google again

repeat

more or less how i used to do it.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Music blogs, last.fm (to look at "similar artists"), pandora (if you are really lucky), follow your favorite record label's website, listen to mixes from your favorite producers/djs and read the comments for track listing and then google/youtube the song.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast