Traktor S4 + Audio Kontrol into speakers
    Tech Student

Default Traktor S4 + Audio Kontrol into speakers

Hello, long time reader, recent shopper, and first time poster of DJTT.

I am looking for an inexpensive solution for a little problem I have.

Currently, I have my 2 dual balanced TRS cables coming out of my Audio Kontrol from my producing setup going into my speakers (KRK VXT6). After recently purchasing my laptop/S4 combo, I also wanted to somehow route the output of my S4 to my speakers.

Really all I need is a simple switch, so I don't have to plug and unplug cables all the time causing unecessary wear, but am also looking for something cheap.

Now, I know a mixer will solve the problem, but I don't want to pay $200 or more for a mixer with balanced outputs just for this. It's not like I will be producing and Djing at the same time. I've found some audio input selector boxes, but they go for $70.

Now I am not looking for a Y-cable, because I've heard having 2 inputs going into 1 output could potentially cause some serious harm to your equipment, but maybe if there is some sort of Y-cable with a switch, that will do for me.

Cheers,
    Jean-Luc

Tech Wizard

Is your production done internally or with outboard gear?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Get phono Y-cables at Radio Shack.

It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    How would this work? I'm guessing you'd have to put one phono in each of the AK1 inputs and then connect the L channels of the S4 and Production Out to one Y-cable and the R channels to the other. Or am I missing something?

How about something like this?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Phonic-AM120-MKII-Stereo-Compact/dp/B0032TN184"]Amazon.com: Phonic AM120 MKII 1 Mic/Line 2 Stereo Input Compact Mixer: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uu8iF%2Bh6L.@@AMEPARAM@@51uu8iF%2Bh6L[/ame]

Yeah that board will be fine.

Essentially, for the cables, what you'd do is plug the 1/4" male into the back of each speaker, and run one cable from the S4 and the Audio Kontrol to each female connection. You can get the same thing for 1/4" male with two 1/4" female on the other end of the cable.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post

Unfortunately that won't work, since it's just TS (tip + sleeve) versus TRS (tip+ring+sleeve)

TS is for unbalanced connections and TRS is for balanced connections (which means less noise)

Essentially there is a balanced output left channel and a balanced output for the right channel for both my audio kontrol 1 (audio interface) and my traktor s4 that I want to go to each individual left and right speaker that accepts balanced inputs (TRS or XLR).

Also, combining 2 inputs to 1 output is a very dangerous thing to do electronically

I'm sure there are balanced options, but you raise a valid point.

The board is probably your best bet.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by inov8 View Post
    How would this work? I'm guessing you'd have to put one phono in each of the AK1 inputs and then connect the L channels of the S4 and Production Out to one Y-cable and the R channels to the other. Or am I missing something?

How about something like this?

Amazon.com: Phonic AM120 MKII 1 Mic/Line 2 Stereo Input Compact Mixer: Musical Instruments

That might do. I might have to shop around for reviews. I was trying to stay away from having to use a mixer, as it means more clutter, but it probably is my only solution. But the 2 balanced L/R channels and the balanced outputs was exactly what I was looking for if I had to do a mixer.

Cheers