Am i ready to play out, progressive/big room house
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Am i ready to play out, progressive/big room house

Hi all after doing my first mix and posting it here, A lot of people liked it.

Now im looking to actually start playing out. This is my 2nd mix, If you could listen and rate/comment that would be great

1. Hype Jones - Only One (Tristan Garner Remix)
    2. Sultan, Ned Shepard & Nadia Ali - Call My Name (After Hours Mix)
    3. Jerome Isma-ae & Daniel Portman Ft. Max C - Flashing Lights (Nicky Romero & Nilson Remix)
    4. Dj Slider & Anton Liss - Mr Devil (Dj Renat Remix)
    5. Swanky Tunes Ft. Mr V - Together (Hard Rock Sofa Remix)
    6. Barbara Tucker - I Get Lifted (David Tort Vocal Mix)
    7. Feenixpawl Ft. Kina - Seasons (Nick Galea Remix)
    8. Peter Gelderblom - Waiting 4 (Bastian Van Sheild Remix)
    9. Calvin Harris - Awooga (Original Mix)
    10. DBN Ft, Jason Caesar - All My Life (Original Mix)
    Last edited by Accidental-DJ; 04-19-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: track listing
    First Mix, have a listen you know you want to
    http://soundcloud.com/mattybruce/spr...-daddy-mixtape

Tech Mentor

I can see the plays going up but no comments, could that be its fine, bad?

Feedback please peeps

Tech Convert

I'll listen now.

Tech Convert

Sounds great. Nice track selection.

Tech Mentor

Second mix...ever? I've read somewhere on this forum that if you can play for 3 hours without any noticeable mistakes...then you are ready to play out. But a 50 minute set with 10 tracks....and is only your 2nd set....I'd go back to practicing if I were you before I'd get to gigging.

Just for reference, the longest mix I have ever made is 2 hours and there were a couple mistakes so I am definitely not ready to play out either.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rt24 View Post
    Second mix...ever? I've read somewhere on this forum that if you can play for 3 hours without any noticeable mistakes...then you are ready to play out. But a 50 minute set with 10 tracks....and is only your 2nd set....I'd go back to practicing if I were you before I'd get to gigging.

Just for reference, the longest mix I have ever made is 2 hours and there were a couple mistakes so I am definitely not ready to play out either.
    didn't know that, thanks ill keep at it then

Quote Originally Posted by rt24 View Post
    I've read somewhere on this forum that if you can play for 3 hours without any noticeable mistakes...then you are ready to play out.
    There are DJs that couldn't string a 15 minute mistake free set together that have regular gigs. I'm not saying start before you're ready, and I'm definitely not saying it doesn't matter if you play a hit set, but that's not a 'rule' that I've heard before and I don't think it's valid.

Bear in mind that the first gig you should probably be aiming for is likely to be about half an hour to an hour, and it's not going to be in the biggest club in town.

If you don't think you're ready, fine. But if you think you want to give it a shot, don't feel you have to wait until you never make a mistake, because you'll probably be waiting a long time. Everyone makes the odd mistake, but the honest truth is that 9 times out of 10 the only person who notices is the DJ.

It's great to have ambition.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoR2qr0d3Gc
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Nothing wrong with this mate.

Good track selection. good mixing and most importantly your mixes are cue'd and phased really nicely.

Just put it on my iphone!! Nice work man!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Mentor

Thanks everyone

Im gonna try get into a club and maybe push for a 30-45 house set

Nobody in my home town uses a S4 so ill try be the first person

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    There are DJs that couldn't string a 15 minute mistake free set together that have regular gigs. I'm not saying start before you're ready, and I'm definitely not saying it doesn't matter if you play a hit set, but that's not a 'rule' that I've heard before and I don't think it's valid.

Bear in mind that the first gig you should probably be aiming for is likely to be about half an hour to an hour, and it's not going to be in the biggest club in town.

If you don't think you're ready, fine. But if you think you want to give it a shot, don't feel you have to wait until you never make a mistake, because you'll probably be waiting a long time. Everyone makes the odd mistake, but the honest truth is that 9 times out of 10 the only person who notices is the DJ.

It's great to have ambition.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoR2qr0d3Gc
    The reason I say that is because doing a 50 minute set is much different than if you have to do let's say a standard 3 hour set. I don't know of many gigs that get you 30 minutes of warm-up, playing time in a club...that seems really inefficient because they would need like 5-6 DJs to come in and change their gears just for warm up. In fact, I've never heard of a 30 minute set period...that can be 4 songs if you want it to. If you know of places that allow DJs to come in and set up their gear to play for 30 minutes then leave....I would really love to be informed because I was unaware that it existed.

But anyway, it's not a "rule" to play for 3 hours with minimal mistakes...you can do whatever you like obviously...however I do agree that it's a guideline that will ensure a successful set. Also, I believe a mod/highly-respectable poster made that comment so it's not just from some random noobie.

That being said, if you do have to warm up let's say for 2-3 hours...it's way different than a 50 minute set. 50 minutes is relatively easy...just take your top tracks and that's about it. Planning is straight-forward and simple. Once you get to 2-3 hours....that's when things get tricky because you really gotta plan things. You have a variety of tracks of different energy levels. You can't have let's say 15 playable bangers...and then 2 low-energy tracks. It's not going to work out just in terms of the time you have to fill.

I remember when I first started DJing...I literally wanted to get a gig in the 1st week. That was the first thing in mind: get a gig as soon as possible. Now that I've been doing it for a bit over a year now...I realize how noobie that was. It's like joining a martial art such as taekwondo and wanting to do jumping flying side kicks in the first week...ain't going to happen. Heck...I feel actually LESS ready to gig than I did when I started DJing because I see how comfortable you really have to be to do it, and how much knowledge you have to deal with all different sorts of possible scenarios. What happens if the sound goes out? What do you do if...etc.. You just won't have that knowledge in your first couple months of DJing. Keep in mind that people are listening as well...so it's not like you are playing with no audience at home...there is pressure.

Sorry to that I am not being the optimistic one saying "go for it"...but really...if this is your 2nd mix EVER (is it really? I'm sure you've done more)...I wouldn't play out. Just being honest and realistic.

Something to note though...if you are just playing at a friend's house or a house party I see that as totally fine...actually I think it's a great transiton to clubs. There's no huge pressure at house parties...if you mess up so what...etc.. However if you are trying to make money from DJing and going to clubs...your reputation is on the line and messing up isn't optional if you want to be a successful DJ.

Just my opinion, you can do whatever you like of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast