so...are there any serato/vinyl dj's here or am i the only one?

Default so...are there any serato/vinyl dj's here or am i the only one?

just curious...i see a lot of setups with controllers and laptops but not a lot of techs and records. i'm interested in exploring the midi functionality of all the new digital dj hard/software,etc but i don't know where to start. personally, i think i'd rather learn how to juggle,etc w/ wax before i cut my teeth with all of the bells and whistles traktor/ableton can provide a dj.

personally, i just love "mixing"...vinyl, serato, cd-decks etc. but i'm ready to take the next step to beef up the repertoire. i have this ddm4000 that has some midi technology which can make serato more hands-off than it already is; but, after watching the midi fighter routine on the homepage i'm sold on it...and, i'm definitely buying a monome this fall once school starts so i might as well get a jump start on the nuts and bolts of this facet of dj'ing.

so, my other question is this: where do i start? i'm tech-savvy, but i'm not 1337 by any means. i could use some useful tutorials for newcomers to this other realm of dj'ing also, any personal words of wisdom/advice is encouraged and appreciated!

ez,

-g-
    "Think for yourself and question authority."
    -Timothy Leary-

i spin on serato. my personal setup is cdjs and a djm-700. at clubs its usually cdj or 1200 and a djm-800. I love traktor, but serato is fitting my needs right now.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    i spin on serato. my personal setup is cdjs and a djm-700. at clubs its usually cdj or 1200 and a djm-800. I love traktor, but serato is fitting my needs right now.
    i guess there's just some things about traktor that i'm iffy about...specifically the non-vinyl element that comes with the controllers i see people using nowadays. to me, that isn't really dj'ing...it's also kind of a step below an ableton performance from what i've gathered. i see people use ableton like a dj and fail miserably; but, i see professional producers utilize the true potential of the software, ultimately putting on a performance instead of sequencing tracks/channels/etc.

i mean, if you're going to DJ, spin records/cd's. if you're going to perform, get your controllers and whatever warez you need to put on your show. perhaps i need to be enlightened on the finer points of the midi side of digital dj'ing. so, please open some doors for me i'm all ears.
    "Think for yourself and question authority."
    -Timothy Leary-