How would you route this? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Depends what mixer your using, if you have a decent one youll be able to put the ipod channel as 'thru' and assign the other channel to a side on the CF. that way no matter where the CF is the ipod will always play and you can cue in the ipod and your scratching track

/thread.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    This may be the overly obvious question, but how come you want to "practice" at a bar? why not just do it at home?
    Not in my country dude. I'm away for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Depends what mixer your using, if you have a decent one youll be able to put the ipod channel as 'thru' and assign the other channel to a side on the CF. that way no matter where the CF is the ipod will always play and you can cue in the ipod and your scratching track
    Pioneer DJM 800. Don't think they have a 'thru' option. I know there's a few dedicated scratch mixers on the market that let you monitor the master but they are rare. The ipod isn't a major issue. Had a chat with the boss and he said he can just whack a music channel on the TV. So now I just need to figure out how I can practice in the headphones. The amps don't have headphone outputs as they are club amps.

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    Not in my country dude. I'm away for the summer.

Pioneer DJM 800. Don't think they have a 'thru' option. I know there's a few dedicated scratch mixers on the market that let you monitor the master but they are rare. The ipod isn't a major issue. Had a chat with the boss and he said he can just whack a music channel on the TV. So now I just need to figure out how I can practice in the headphones. The amps don't have headphone outputs as they are club amps.
    ehhmm.. right under the channel faders, the djm800 has a thru option.

Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

So, umm…wow.

I'm amazed. But no one in this thread has a clue how to do this…either that or they still don't understand the OP's question.

Now…for what you really want. How would I route that. There are 2 things I'd try: something free, and something dumb.

First, the free one. Plug the iPod into the DJM-800's return (for the effects loop). Set the effects section to channel "1" and "send/rtn", turn the level/depth all the way to the right and turn it on. That should send the iPod signal out to the mixer's master output regardless of what else is happening while killing channel 1's output to the master by taking the post-fader signal from channel 1 and send it out the effects send.

So…plug your turntable or whatever you're scratching with into the input for channel 1 and set the mixer up however you want for scratching (with regard to faders, CF, etc.). Now here's where I'm not sure it's going to work…if the loop is post-fader, it's fine. Take the fx send (which is capturing the signal coming out of channel 1) and use a cable to send it to channel 2 (or 3, or 4…whatever), set it as line level, turn the volume all the way down on that channel (maybe put a piece of tape in the way just in case), and hit cue for that channel.

If it works the way I think it does, you're cuing the post-fader signal from channel 1 (your scratching), and killing its master output…at the same time, you're sending the iPod straight to the master output.

I think that does everything you want…the only thing I'm not sure about is whether the DJM-800's effects loop is post-fader, because I've never really paid attention to its effects when I've mixed on it.

And the dumb idea…buy a small PA mixer. Plug the iPod and the DJM-800 into it. Cue the DJM-800's master signal and cut it's volume on the PA mixer…blah blah blah…I'm sure this makes sense. The Behringer Xenyx mixers are actually really good at this. Their mic pres are noisy, but the line-level path sounds okay to my ears. And the one that's best suited for doing what you want costs like $40.

Also, I didn't read much of page 2 because I got pissed off at people…if you can just kill the master out on the mixer, there's a cue button on the master channel between the pan control and the mono/stereo switch…might want to look into what that does.

Tech Guru

the audio source from the bars music must come from somewhere. either a hard drive or cd. so just take it out the mixer and plug directly into the amp. make sure u turn volume down they wont be happy if you trash amp and pa system. then you have you decks to practice on that are not connected to the PA.

then just set your cans to master, that really isnt that hard is it

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post
    ehhmm.. right under the channel faders, the djm800 has a thru option.
    Ha haa. Sorry dude, wasnt in front of the mixer when I wrote that. And when somebody else said the "thru" option that wasn't what I was thinking. I was thinking about a master cue with the option to cue the crossfader in the headphones. I know there's a couple of mixers that can do that.

With regard to all the other responses about plugging things in and unplugging this that and the other. I should have stressed that the manager is a 45ish year old spanish dude still living in the past thinking if you unplug something it will break.

Anyway, sorted it now, but cheers for all the help

Set cue to master.

Turn down master gain.

Ta daaa
    Last edited by MrPopinjay; 04-25-2011 at 01:00 PM.

My post wasn't wrong. If we take the DJM800 example above - set the cue to Channel 1, set one side of the crossfader to Channel 1, and turn the fader for that channel all the way down.

Now your scratching in your headphones. Nothing from Channel 1 coming out of the mixer.

THAT'S how you use the crossfader.

@Buffalo: That wont work since cueing isn't post cross fader.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Ill View Post
    My post wasn't wrong. If we take the DJM800 example above - set the cue to Channel 1, set one side of the crossfader to Channel 1, and turn the fader for that channel all the way down.

Now your scratching in your headphones. Nothing from Channel 1 coming out of the mixer.

THAT'S how you use the crossfader.
    You're trippin bruv!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast