Beatmatching; a lost art? - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Ean wrote a great article on using Traktor and digital doubles to help train your ear. So even if you don't plan on rocking w/ tables, there is no excuse to not have that knowledge whether you plan to use the technique or not. Find some free time and just do it so that you can say that you *know* how. That should end the debate. (I'm kidding)

Me personally, I started off small w/ Traktor 3.4 and Pro, a Korg nanoKontrol and a RMX. As soon as cash and space allow me too, I will pick up a couple of 1200s and a Audio 4. Those 1200s may very well never leave my house but I am so in love with the art that I feel naked without including vinyl along my journey.

Put it this way...what would Francis say???

in few words, my opinion is that art is when someone does something new within a limitation that is appealing to emotion

and my side-opinion is that an opinions worth can be measured by the result of that opinion being contested
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Tech Wizard

then again, beatmixing records can really put me in a kind of trance, for me it can work as meditation, clearing my head and only focussing on the rhythm and keeping it supertight.

Quote Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
    On this note: one of the coolest parties i ever attended was when David Mancuso invited me to one of his Loft parties in London. He played all the records from the beginning to the end, no mixing at all. Still the atmosphere was amazing, the energy on the dancefloor was something quiet special. All because he has such a great taste in music and can "program" a DJ set with the right sequence of the right music. The music had a flow that was comparable to a mixed set, very special.
    Go out and buy the DVD for the movie The Maestro and check out Mancuso on the bonus disc the dude is a fuckin genius . His sound system philosophy is something every night club should follow .

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post
    in few words, my opinion is that art is when someone does something new within a limitation that is appealing to emotion

and my side-opinion is that an opinions worth can be measured by the result of that opinion being contested
    give me a few weeks to think about this

Quote Originally Posted by empolo View Post
    what would Francis say???
    "F*ck it." and then mash up Zeppelin and CTA after taking a shot?
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Quote Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
    give me a few weeks to think about this
    Kaon's pretty dead on as far as wikipedia is concerned

Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the sense or emotions.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

lol i was having a discussion similar a few weeks ago, but i think it was related to having no sight or no hearing or something

so i would suggest that beatmatching it self is not an art. in the same that a particular stroke with a paintbrush is not art, nor a particular mix of colours. they are but tools for conveying art (emotion) within a medium

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Yeah second that Kaon, beatmatching itself is just a tool...

I plan to learn to beatmatch competently on vinyl this year, not because thats how I want to DJ but because sometimes a digital setup is just not an option.

I can allready string together a mix ok on vinyl, but not well enough that I would consider playing that medium at an event.

And there is something kinda soothing about mixing old school.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast