Software controller or mixer with media player?
    Tech Convert

Default Software controller or mixer with media player?

I am stuck between getting Traktor Kontroler S4 or getting two media/CD players with a mixer. Any suggestions, pro/con? I am more of a beginner DJ btw but i have been playing around with traktor for a while.

Tech Wizard

S4 will give you traktor and a soundcard and you can start mixing right out of the box and for like 900$$. Mixer and cdj is alot more expensive and if you are going to connect it to computer you need to buy soundcard(i think) and traktor, or burn shitloads of cds

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Kurbitur View Post
    S4 will give you traktor and a soundcard and you can start mixing right out of the box and for like 900$$. Mixer and cdj is alot more expensive and if you are going to connect it to computer you need to buy soundcard(i think) and traktor, or burn shitloads of cds
    yea true but is the s4 going to be as good/have as many features/be able to do as much as the mixer and cdj? Like is it going to be professional enough where 5 years from now i wont have to go get a whole new setup because i got better?

Quote Originally Posted by PJSnow View Post
    yea true but is the s4 going to be as good/have as many features/be able to do as much as the mixer and cdj? Like is it going to be professional enough where 5 years from now i wont have to go get a whole new setup because i got better?
    5 years from now there will be better controllers, but the S4 will be just as good. Several top level big name DJs use S4s regularly for gigs.

regarding features, an S4 with Traktor has many more features than a CDJ and mixer setup for a much lower price.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    5 years from now there will be better controllers, but the S4 will be just as good. Several top level big name DJs use S4s regularly for gigs.

regarding features, an S4 with Traktor has many more features than a CDJ and mixer setup for a much lower price.
    ok thanks then thats the way im going to go

Quote Originally Posted by PJSnow View Post
    ok thanks then thats the way im going to go
    You have made a good choice. Even if you did get cdjs and a mixer you would eventually probably want to use a laptop in some way weather it be with a controller or a dvs setup. And the S4 is great from starting off as a beginner all the way up to being a Pro dj. You can make it as complex or as simple as you like i.e you can go from using 2 decks to 4 and using effects, as many or as little you like. Traktor has a hefty selection including all the effects the top of the line mixers offer and more.
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8