Buying New Kit: Could use some feedback/experiences with the following...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying New Kit: Could use some feedback/experiences with the following...

Hey guys,

I'm getting myself some gear for DJing with Ableton Live and I could use some feedback from anybody that has used/is using the following or knows someone who has a friend that knows a friend that uses it:

Namba Gear Big Namba Backpack
    Presonus Audiobox USB
    Akai APC 40
    Sony MDR 7506

Those are what I plan to use for my DJ/Production set-up with Ableton Live. Any alternatives/suggestions are welcome. If you can figure out a cheaper but equal quality route let me know. My budget is $400-600. Fire away.

-Marc.Elektro

I would fork out the cash for a better headset, but aside from that it looks like a really strong setup. Do you have experience with Ableton? If not I would consider trying it out first because it can be very difficult to setup if you don't know what you're doing.

On that note, I would reccomend a SLAPPA bag, called the M.A.S.K. (http://www.slappa.com/MASK-KOA-Backp...2&category=744). I have it and its ungodly how much crap I can fit in there, plus its customizable and not much more cash wise. I can squeeze my mixer, laptop, all my chords, my KP3, and 2 Monsters into that thing with room to spare.

I don't know much about the Presonus Audiobox, although it had gotten good reviews and can't be bad.

I have an APC40 and its great, although a Launchpad and BCR2000 should be a consideration, as its a bit more flexible and would require less shifting from one mode to another.

Your current setup seems strong, although I would recommend:
    APC40 - $300
    Audio 2 DJ (more reliable, although you lose a mic) - $100
    SLAPPA M.A.S.K. - $130
    HD 25-SP II or srh550dj or srh750dj - $130, $100, and $150 respectively

A bit over, but that's $630-$680
    I couldn't really think of a cheaper route that's just as good sadly, Ableton setups are a bit more expensive.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    I would fork out the cash for a better headset, but aside from that it looks like a really strong setup. Do you have experience with Ableton? If not I would consider trying it out first because it can be very difficult to setup if you don't know what you're doing.

On that note, I would reccomend a SLAPPA bag, called the M.A.S.K. (http://www.slappa.com/MASK-KOA-Backp...2&category=744). I have it and its ungodly how much crap I can fit in there, plus its customizable and not much more cash wise. I can squeeze my mixer, laptop, all my chords, my KP3, and 2 Monsters into that thing with room to spare.

I don't know much about the Presonus Audiobox, although it had gotten good reviews and can't be bad.

I have an APC40 and its great, although a Launchpad and BCR2000 should be a consideration, as its a bit more flexible and would require less shifting from one mode to another.

Your current setup seems strong, although I would recommend:
    APC40 - $300
    Audio 2 DJ (more reliable, although you lose a mic) - $100
    SLAPPA M.A.S.K. - $130
    HD 25-SP II or srh550dj or srh750dj - $130, $100, and $150 respectively

A bit over, but that's $630-$680
    I couldn't really think of a cheaper route that's just as good sadly, Ableton setups are a bit more expensive.
    Well I'm new to Ableton but I seem to have learned quite a lot within the last week. I know that I want to use it though because I'm getting into music production and Ableton has everything I'd need in a DAW.

As for the better headset what's wrong with the MDR 7506's? I've looked through forums and it seems like a pretty reliable and sturdy pair and if I'm not wrong Ean even suggested them in the headphone shootout. Am I missing something?

That slappa MASK looks like it could fit a lot of gear! I haven't considered that one so yeah thanks for that suggestion.

You said that a launchpad + bcr 2000 is more flexible? Do you happen to know if the bcr 2000 is bus powered? Because I would probably consider it if it was but I'm also a fan of physical faders which is why I liked the APC 40. As for setting up the APC 40 how hard is it? I know it's premapped but using an alternative mapping can't be that hard since it's Midi Mappable via the click and turn method that ableton has right?

Quote Originally Posted by marc.elektro View Post
    You said that a launchpad + bcr 2000 is more flexible? Do you happen to know if the bcr 2000 is bus powered? Because I would probably consider it if it was but I'm also a fan of physical faders which is why I liked the APC 40. As for setting up the APC 40 how hard is it? I know it's premapped but using an alternative mapping can't be that hard since it's Midi Mappable via the click and turn method that ableton has right?
    The APC40 is fine, but everytime I use it I wish I had a few more knobs. The way I've worked around this is by using 4-channels and using the other faders for the goodies I wish I had knobs for. As for my opinion on the Sony, they may be amazing, I was moreso saying that I would spend more money on the phones (then again, I'm very picky about my headset).

The Launchpad BCR combo "might" be more flexible if you don't mind the lack of faders, but this is simply because it offers more knobs (Daft Punk used them if it means anything to ya). I use an APC40 and it's not bad at all, but it was just a recommendation if you wanted another idea.

If you do want to get an APC40 let me know, as I've been using my midifighters instead recently and should probably sell it since I don't even use it anymore (been trying Ableton with it, but decided to stick to Traktor).

The BCR isn't bus powered if I'm correct... Maybe I'm wrong though.
    Last edited by tyfurious; 04-27-2011 at 12:10 AM.

The APC40 is fine, but everytime I use it I wish I had a few more knobs. The way I've worked around this is by using 4-channels and using the other faders for the goodies I wish I had knobs for. As for my opinion on the Sony, they may be amazing, I was moreso saying that I would spend more money on the phones (then again, I'm very picky about my headset).

The Launchpad BCR combo "might" be more flexible if you don't mind the lack of faders, but this is simply because it offers more knobs (Daft Punk used them if it means anything to ya). I use an APC40 and it's not bad at all, but it was just a recommendation if you wanted another idea.

If you do want to get an APC40 let me know, as I've been using my midifighters instead recently and should probably sell it since I don't even use it anymore (been trying Ableton with it, but decided to stick to Traktor).

The BCR isn't bus powered if I'm correct... Maybe I'm wrong though.
    Wait you're saying Daft Punk used the Launchpad + BCR combo? or just the BCR?

How long have you had your APC 40? If you hook me up with a good deal I'd be glad to take it off your hands.

How long have you had your APC 40? If you hook me up with a good deal I'd be glad to take it off your hands.
    It's less than a year old, I can't for sure tell you how old I forget. Daft Punk used a BCR2000 and a Lemur (the oldschool iPad essentially). The APC40 is newer than any of Daft's music xD.

I'll PM you some pics and details about the APC tomorrow.

It's less than a year old, I can't for sure tell you how old I forget. Daft Punk used a BCR2000 and a Lemur (the oldschool iPad essentially). The APC40 is newer than any of Daft's music xD.

Ok cool just let me know and I'll think about it. Anyway thanks for the help so far.

hey i am too looking for an apc40,pm me too

Iv seen in pictures them use the bcr but did they not stop touring before the launch of the launchpad??

fyi
    Inside the pyramid
    http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=h...ed=0CCkQ9QEwAw
    Last edited by michaeldunne109; 04-27-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldunne109 View Post
    Iv seen in pictures them use the bcr but did they not stop touring before the launch of the launchpad??

fyi
    Inside the pyramid
    http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=h...ed=0CCkQ9QEwAw
    That's awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast