2 Midi Fighters won't work at the same time! :( - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

So for the last couple hours I have been working on this to no avail. Changed the name of the Midifighter in the file usb_descriptors.c and compiled the hex file and then flashed the Midifighter using dfu programmer. Everything worked, and I successfully flashed with the new hexfile, but the Midifighter's name has not changed in the Traktor Controller Manager. Is there anyone who can figure out why this didn't work? I looked through the code and didn't see any other logical place to change the name of the unit.

Here's my hex file if anyone wants to try it: http://turntablepoetry.com/midifighter.hex
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

What does it show up as in device manager (on windows; whatever the mac equivalent is on mac) and what does it come up as in Traktor?

That is, does the firmware change the text name at all (but is still treated as if it weren't different) or is the name still the same?

In Audio Midi settings it looks the same as it did before. No I couldn't find my changed name anywhere but maybe there's somewhere else to look on Mac?

--Update - I just checked the System Profiler and indeed the USB name for my Midifighter has changed! So I did something right. Now we just gotta figure out why Traktor sees both midifighters as the same name?
    Last edited by djproben; 05-08-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    In Audio Midi settings it looks the same as it did before. No I couldn't find my changed name anywhere but maybe there's somewhere else to look on Mac?

--Update - I just checked the System Profiler and indeed the USB name for my Midifighter has changed! So I did something right. Now we just gotta figure out why Traktor sees both midifighters as the same name?
    The problem would be cached USB descriptors. To speed up waking from sleep and boot times, modern Operating Systems cache a copy of the most recent USB descriptor for each deviceand only re-read them if they think something has changed. Try unplugging your devices and putting them into a different port, failing that there are development tools to flush USB descriptors.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    The problem would be cached USB descriptors. To speed up waking from sleep and boot times, modern Operating Systems cache a copy of the most recent USB descriptor for each deviceand only re-read them if they think something has changed. Try unplugging your devices and putting them into a different port, failing that there are development tools to flush USB descriptors.
    Does Traktor cache them or just the OS? I tried this and no dice -- the midifighter appears as "MF-BEER" in the System Profile, so I know the OS knows it (that's what I changed the name to), but Traktor still only reports that "Midifighter (Midifighter)" is connected when I look in the controller manager. This is true even if I unplug all other midi controllers and switch out the USB port the midifighter is plugged into.

I'm running TSP 1.2.7 by the way, but when I open TSP 2.0.1 I have the same exact result.

Bump! I Wonder if the new firmware will help with this in any way?

Tech Mentor

Not as far as I can see, unfortunately. Sorry!

By the way (I'm a programmer, not a DJ, I don't know squat about Traktor, nor do I have a copy handy) - in the Traktor MIDI device settings, is there anything related to refrshing, reloading, resynching, rescanning, redetecting etc MIDI devices? Or can you perhaps "remove" and then re-add the midifighter? Perhaps unplug MF, tell traktor to remove or delete it, then plug it in again to let Traktor redetect?

I will take a look at my brothers copy over the weekend when I get a chance and see, but if you can take a look it may speed things up
    Last edited by guywithknife; 05-12-2011 at 05:52 PM.

This doesn't work (plugging and unplugging). I'm guessing that traktor gets the same information every time. I change USB ports to no avail as well. Every other program seems to see the different USB descriptors but traktor thinks they are the same.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Just thought I'd check back on this... sorry to see there is still no true fix, though you're still working towards a solution, djproben, which is awesome!
    I wonder if Ean Golden is using the same workaround you, and now I, are using?
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

It's weird though some people are not having this problem at all; apparently it depends on the order the different mappings load? But it doesn't seem to change for me no matter where I plug in each controller.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast