Using Effects during a set
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Using Effects during a set

So. I finally figured out how to use the effects on the new vci 1_6 mapping and it seems that whenever i mix now, it's actually worse. Im starting to think that im getting effects happy and using them too much, thus ruining the song and the beat it has.

What is the trick to using effects during a live performance to shock the crowd, but not make them sick of it or ruin the original song too much?

i.e. is it better to stick to using effects for transitions to different songs, or before a dropped beat, etc...

This thread is to discuss how you use effects in your set, and the best means to apply specific effects to their maximum.

Personally ive found that a beat masher (without phaser or delay) is best for transitions or cue drops.

Discuss.

well i´m using all the fx´s traktor 3 offers me. i use them while a transition. a lot of beatmasher during a song, filter mostly for transitions or parts right before there will be a sick beat in a song. there is so much u can use fx´s for....but u have to watch out not to use them to much. and to much is to much. hard to describe when it is to much...i think u will get the feeling when u overused fx´s....
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

My technique is to record a set and then listen to it and see what I think. So I'll spin for 30 minutes using the effect that I want and critique when it works and when it doesn't. If you find yourself getting sick of the effect quickly then the crowd probably will too.

Also, it allows you to hear what you're doing afterwards as opposed to real time, so you get an idea of what it sounds like. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

I like them thru transitions and sometimes I will add a tiny effect through out the whole song, something subtle but makes the song stand out. How much you use them will depend on how u use them. If you overkill it with the beatmasher than your going to have some tired ears
    Thank Ya!!!

Yeah there is a fidget house DJ in my city. You can get into a groove for about 2 minutes and then the beatmasher gets a little annoying.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    My technique is to record a set and then listen to it and see what I think. So I'll spin for 30 minutes using the effect that I want and critique when it works and when it doesn't. If you find yourself getting sick of the effect quickly then the crowd probably will too.

Also, it allows you to hear what you're doing afterwards as opposed to real time, so you get an idea of what it sounds like. :-)
    i can only second that!
    a lot of mixes i listened to after recording them sounded like a piece of shit...cause of to much beatmasher....
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, when I first got the beatmasher I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Since I've calmed down a bit (especially being TPro doesn't have one that I like)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Yeah, when I first got the beatmasher I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Since I've calmed down a bit (especially being TPro doesn't have one that I like)
    agreed on the TPro beatmasher not being as good as the one in T3. does anyone use the TPro beatmasher in their live sets (or sets in general)?

Tech Guru

less is more. the best way to use the fx in my opinion is almost exclusively for the transitions and blends.

My general rule of thumb is let the songs speak for themselves. The FX are a great way to enhance your transitions and blends between tracks, other than that it's best to just leave them alone while your track is playing.

I understand DJs will feel the need to be "doing something" the entire time they are up there, but that is not really the job. The job is to play songs and make people dance, and mix these songs smoothly into the next song to keep the vibe going strong.

It's not necessary to always be fiddling. Find other things to do with your hands to keep things active. Dance a bit, Clap, grab the Mic, have a drink of water/beer, Cue up your tracks, Give a cute girl your number etc. You'll only a free moment for a second before you gotta start mixing in the next tune anyway!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    less is more
    QFT
    Save money on binoculars - Simply move closer to the object you intend to view!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast