Boston and a question...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Boston and a question...

So, I'm noticing that there are barely any events for EDM in the Boston area, let alone night clubs that still do the DJ thing. If anyone knows anything aside from Rise on Thurs. nights, then I'd be interested.

The Question:

Is Djing starting to lose it's luster as a form of musical art?

I know maybe one person who still listens to any form of EDM, aside from dubstep. Personally, and I know I may offend, but dubstep isn't really my thing. I'd rather spin DnB or Prog trance, or chop up non-EDM music and make interesting mash-ups.

Does it even matter?

dood... the boston scene is just starting to come around. just wait. itll happen.

i have a buddy of mine who spins at bills bar on landsdowne street from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Guru

I hear ya I live down in Providence and any time I travel up to boston it's a nightmare trying to find a good spot to hangout for the night. They used to have some great clubs I had some great nights at Avalon but that was 5-6 years now. But I think it'll come around it goes in stages where everyone latches onto the new hot thing but it always comes around it just takes one great club to open up and you can build an entire scene around that. If you hear of any great shows shoot me a PM I'll try to get up there.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

if there's a hole in the market, then why not fill it!!

get some buddies together and take the risk of trying to get your own night off the ground. if you want some ideas/guidance/tips in doing so, then check out this thread.

who know's, your night might be the next big thing in Boston!

Actually, there's more than a couple things going on in the Boston area. The problem is that there's not a ton of stuff being promoted hard, and so it's a lot of consistent nights that don't do a lot of promotion.

The House of Blues pulls in some big names now and again. It's not steady, but I know Bassnectar was just there, and I think Rusko is soon? I saw The Prodigy and DJ Shadow there last couple of years.

At the Phoenix Landing in Cambridge, there's a few things going on. Elements is on Thursday nights, and it's always Drum and Bass business. Last month they had High Contrast and TC, which was pretty baller, and the residents know how to throw down as well.

Also at the Phoenix Landing, there's Mid-Week Techno on Wednesday nights. I've not gone to it, but I've heard it's alright. There's also some form of a Dubstep night on Sundays, but once again, I've not been.

At the Middle East in Cambridge, every Tuesday is "Throwed" which is kind of an Electro event. It seems to be picking up pace, and they are getting some more action and expanding to Friday nights in Providence as well.

The Middle East has a couple groups pulling names in, fairly consistently. Jack Beats, Terravita and Hot Pink Delorean (which are the same guys and based out of Boston), Wolfgang Gartner... it goes on. You just have to dig through what's coming to figure out what's going on. A lot of it seems to be earlier in the week, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

There's a lot of stuff going on around the area as well. I know Worcester has a couple nights that are going off. Bi-Weekly on Tuesdays there's BASS EMBASSY at Fusion, and it's a lot of good mainly Dubstep tunes. They have a lot of different residents, and so the range they play is mainly dependant on who's spinning. I try to make it down when I can, I used to go all the time but have moved out of the area in the last bit.

There's also a ton of stuff going on in Western MA all the time, Diva's in North Hampton is a pretty hot spot for that stuff.

I dunno. There's a lot going on. www.newraveorder.com is where a lot of the promoters locally congregate to post up events that are going on. A lot of the non-weekly events are posted up there.

There's a lot going on, you just have to know where to look. Is the scene as good as Baltimore or Miami? By no means. But, it's come back a long way from where it was.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    Actually, there's more than a couple things going on in the Boston area. The problem is that there's not a ton of stuff being promoted hard, and so it's a lot of consistent nights that don't do a lot of promotion.

The House of Blues pulls in some big names now and again. It's not steady, but I know Bassnectar was just there, and I think Rusko is soon? I saw The Prodigy and DJ Shadow there last couple of years.

At the Phoenix Landing in Cambridge, there's a few things going on. Elements is on Thursday nights, and it's always Drum and Bass business. Last month they had High Contrast and TC, which was pretty baller, and the residents know how to throw down as well.

Also at the Phoenix Landing, there's Mid-Week Techno on Wednesday nights. I've not gone to it, but I've heard it's alright. There's also some form of a Dubstep night on Sundays, but once again, I've not been.

At the Middle East in Cambridge, every Tuesday is "Throwed" which is kind of an Electro event. It seems to be picking up pace, and they are getting some more action and expanding to Friday nights in Providence as well.

The Middle East has a couple groups pulling names in, fairly consistently. Jack Beats, Terravita and Hot Pink Delorean (which are the same guys and based out of Boston), Wolfgang Gartner... it goes on. You just have to dig through what's coming to figure out what's going on. A lot of it seems to be earlier in the week, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

There's a lot of stuff going on around the area as well. I know Worcester has a couple nights that are going off. Bi-Weekly on Tuesdays there's BASS EMBASSY at Fusion, and it's a lot of good mainly Dubstep tunes. They have a lot of different residents, and so the range they play is mainly dependant on who's spinning. I try to make it down when I can, I used to go all the time but have moved out of the area in the last bit.

There's also a ton of stuff going on in Western MA all the time, Diva's in North Hampton is a pretty hot spot for that stuff.

I dunno. There's a lot going on. www.newraveorder.com is where a lot of the promoters locally congregate to post up events that are going on. A lot of the non-weekly events are posted up there.

There's a lot going on, you just have to know where to look. Is the scene as good as Baltimore or Miami? By no means. But, it's come back a long way from where it was.
    Agreed! I grew up in Boston although I now go to school in DC I usually spend most of the summer there so I'm still somewhat in touch with whats going on. EDM is most definitely on the rise like it is just about everywhere in the US I would say now, although the scene might not be as good as NYCs, LAs, or San Francisco area due to the strict nightlife regulations (pretty sure nothing is ever open passed 3am, and the fact that its extremely hard to throw 18+ events being two major obstacles) it still does have a decent amount of stuff going on as any city with as many colleges its size would. I'm currently in Barcelona for the semester studying + DJing here but when I get back I'm going to try to start some good tribal/electro house nights going, I'll be sure to post any info I have here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexeus View Post
    when I get back I'm going to try to start some good tribal/electro house nights going, I'll be sure to post any info I have here.
    keep me posted about that. i spin electrohouse/dubstep and would LOVE to spin an Electro only show....

im currently stuck doing the top40 bars and whatnot.... super lame as i cant play the music i like to play. but hey, gotta make that paper somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

underbar?
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Wizard

I see events at Royale every week on the tranceaddict.com, seems some good enough names come up there. Or are those too popular?
    MBP & a i5-2500k/asus p8p67 pro/8gb (1600mhz)ram/ Win7 x64 - Kontrol S4 - KRK 5s

Tech Wizard

There are definitely a few electro events in/around Boston. I'm currently trying to get more involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast