Ideal mixer with built-in soundcard?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Ideal mixer with built-in soundcard?

Hey everyone,

I am a musician new to the world of DJing (about a month) and I have been practicing mixing and creating sets with Traktor Pro 1.2.6, using only my Macbook Pro and awful headphones since I have just started out...

I am about to invest in studio monitors, good headphones and of course: I need a mixer to control Traktor Pro! I would like some advice as to what mixer would be ideal for a beginner BUT not cheap, as this will be a relatively long-term investment (2-3 years). I want it to be sturdy (heard the bcd3000 was shit)

I am at a complete loss because I don't know what sound card to buy, whether I should buy a mixer with a soundcard already built-in, or what controller+soundcard combo is the best deal. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Also, what exactly is the difference b/w scratch pro and pro? I am not going to be using cds/vinyls at the moment if that's what its about.

Scratch Pro allows you to use timecode vinyl or CDs to control your tracks. It's more expensive but doesn't really seem to be what you're after.

Personally I'd get a decent 2 channel sound card such as the audio 2 DJ and then buy any old crappy mixer you want with 3 band EQ. The benefit here is that you can upgrade your mixer without having to worry about getting a new mixer that has a sound card and would allow you to select from a much larger range of mixers. It's also more portable since you could just take the soundcard and midi controller rather than worrying carrying a big heavy mixer about with you.

I believe (maybe) ean uses a similar set up when he's not using the s4. (audio4 +club mixer + midifighters)

EDIT: Wait, do you mean a mixer or a mixer style midi controller? Personally I prefer real mixers but there are other controllers out there that might be more suitable for what you want to do.
    Last edited by MrPopinjay; 05-01-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Tech Student

Thank you for your fast reply, as I am eager to buy this and finally mix with TWO hands...

Since I am just starting out and I travel a lot, I meant a mixer-style midi controller. What you recommended makes much more sense... I was going to buy one with a built-in soundcard but I would rather upgrade the mixer soon while not having to buy another sound card again.

But now the question is, which model to get. I dont want to spend more than 200 on both the soundcard and controller, I have been looking at models like the VCM 100 which looks really lightweight (but shitty quality) but would get me off to a good start.

But there's also the Korg Zero4 http://2beat.files.wordpress.com/200...org-zero-4.jpg that I heard about from a friend, which is both a mixer and can control Traktor. Sounds awesome! But is this a good idea to start off with...

I don't want to spend a great deal on a soundcard, I have other things such as headphones and monitors to invest in. How much should I be looking to spend?

I was going to be the inevitable first person to jump in here and suggest a native instruments S4 but since you said only 200 (are we talking dollars, pound, yen???) maybe a Numark Mixtrack with Audio 2 DJ or a Mixtrack Pro with its own built in sound card? I only suggest the Audio 2 separately because If you wanted to upgrade your controller down the line you wouldn't also need to pick up a new soundcard.

Remember that if you intend to take DJing (semi)seriously, there's no point buying something that you'll only want to upgrade in 6 months time, as you'll end up losing money selling it second hand and having to spend the money twice.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Student

Remember that if you intend to take DJing (semi)seriously, there's no point buying something that you'll only want to upgrade in 6 months time, as you'll end up losing money selling it second hand and having to spend the money twice.
    exactly... I needed someone to remind me of this. I intend to take DJing and music production semi-professionally, at the very least. So I do want quality stuff, just not the high-end things that people with a steady income can afford (relatively poor student here) and yes I meant 200 canadian dollars, I live in Montreal.

Again, I have only been introduced to the world of electronic music about 1 1/2 months ago, but am eager to start colllecting all of the gear and be on my way to lots of improvement:

The Numark Mixtrack DJ looks perfect for what I want to do right now, and you mentioned an audio 2 DJ, is that the name of the sound card? I'd rather have an external soundcard for sure. I also spotted this yesterday, don't know how it would compare to the Numark:
    http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PMIDI100

Have you tried looking at the VCI-100 ?
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Student

Have you tried looking at the VCI-100 ?
    just checked it out on eBay, yeah it looks great, i found a couple used ones for 60 dollars even. This looks like its not made of crap and is affordable, i just dont know how to compare it to a Numark. or to the other one i posted above. have you tried this one before?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
    just checked it out on eBay, yeah it looks great, i found a couple used ones for 60 dollars even. This looks like its not made of crap and is affordable, i just dont know how to compare it to a Numark. or to the other one i posted above. have you tried this one before?
    it's high quality but it isn't a 'mixer' and it doesn't have a soundcard built in (unless you get the newer version).

either way, I doubt you can get a working one for $60!

Never heard of that one that you linked (or even the brand), I'd get something from a more reputable manufacturer. The Native instruments Audio 2 DJ is a great external USB sound card, it has 2 very high quality (and high volume) stereo outputs, one for master output and one for monitor (headphones).

You can use that soundcard wherever you like, it's full professional stardard quality. You might want a bigger one with more inputs or outputs further down the line, but you can save your money right now for sure. The price is great for what you get.

+1 on the VCI-100 SE (mk1 model, which you'd have to find second hand or in the DJTT store), but that's going to be more than you want to spend. Bear in mind as well with that one that you'll want a DJTT 'SE' version, which you can make yourself from a stadard one but it involves getting an overlay and a firmware upgrade kit.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    I doubt you can get a working one for $60!
    this.

I assume you're referring to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vestax-VCI-100-M...item41591dc3f9

note that the reserve hasn't been met and it'll go much higher than that. these are more realistic prices:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vestax-VCI-100-B...item4aaab4510b

and for an SE (arcade edition in this case):

http://cgi.ebay.com/VCI-100-Arcade-v...item3f0994c323

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast