Weird gain question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Weird gain question

Was playing at a party on the weekend, not a booking but some mates just had decks at their joint. Anyway, one of their other mates started playing (and was pretty shit but was just starting out I think) and he had all of the freq gains like just a shade past 12 o'clock.. Like literally just out of the center lock

I couldn't understand it, and considering he's a noob, can't imagine where he's picked it up.. If you want it a bit louder over all frequencies why not just pump the trim?
    Does anyone do this and have an explanation? Really just out of interest as I see no real advantage..

Probably he use his left ear for his headphone, so his head must bend a little bit on the left side, so this way all pot likes to be in 12o'clock position !

I have no idea
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

ha yep not bad

if you werent meant to take the eq's over 12 o'clock. then they'd stop there right
    some tracks do need a bit more "oomph" maybe in the midrange or bass but not usually in the highs.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    if you werent meant to take the eq's over 12 o'clock. then they'd stop there right
    some tracks do need a bit more "oomph" maybe in the midrange or bass but not usually in the highs.
    every track man. and why not just use the channel gain? thought maybe it was something people did but looks like he's just made it up

silly noobs and their sticky fingers

if you know what you are doing it can work nicely .. esp for example if you *shock horror* were playing a low quality mp3 you may want to beef up the mids a little bit as most lo q mp3's will sound a bit "thin" but in your buddies case .. well ..
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

oh man I tweak that shit all day, but individual freqs, not all three.
    whatever, beats is beats. had fun and saw some boobies.

ahhh but did they tweak your knobs? lol

Many times I leave all the EQ knobs for a channel turned down a tad on the track coming in, so I can do fader cuts and not worry about the incoming tracking being too loud...

And I will generally use all three EQ knobs as a collective gain knob at times, because I usually set my channel gain pots at one spot, and leave them there once set, using the master volume to set how hot I send the signal to the speaker amps (usually leave about 3db before hitting the clip). And then adjust how "loud" I want the overall performance at the speaker amp. When you want it louder later in the night, overall, as the venue/area fills, do it at the amp...

...so after setting the channel/master gains to avoid clipping the mixer, the EQ's and channel faders are used to keep the tracks running at the same volume relative each other. And If I want to use the channel fader as big on/off sliders, it is wise to "twist" a bit of a volume buffer across all the EQ's. Weather that be up for the main track, or down for the incoming really does not matter, they are opposite applications of the same concept.

My two cents.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Do the same EQ GAIN 'rules' apply to broacasting as they do to recording? The studio g33ks seem to regard gain with a bit of disdain - i.e. a 'tool' for compensating what was lacking in the original mix.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast